Cowley County Law Enforcement Officers
Killed in the Line of Duty
- Sheriff of Cowley County Albert Taylor Shenneman,
Shot by young cowboy, January 25, 1883
- Winfield City Marshall Fulton, Shot while
attempting to quell domestic dispute, September 2, 1892.
- Winfield Constable Hugh Hicks Siverd, killed
by bootleggers at 9th & Main, October 25,1893.
- Arkansas City Constable John Breene, wounded
in a revolver duel with a burglar, November 20, 1906, died November 27,
- Cowley County Sheriff A. O. Welfelt, Shot
by borrowed gun while arresting burglar, Dec 1, 1906, died, January 27,1907
- Winfield Policeman Dick Kreuger, Shot and
killed while apprehending a stalker, September 3,1920
- Cowley County Deputy Sheriff Robert Vest, killed
in on-duty auto accident, January 17, 1964.
Other Kansas Gunfight & Murder Stories on the Web:
These links are all dead, but the stories are good! If you know of new
links let me know. email@example.com
- August 11 1871, Newton KS., Mike McCluskie shoots and kills fellow deputy
- August 19, 1871, Newton, KS. Hugh Anderson shoots and kills
- July 4, 1873 Medicine Lodge, KS., duel between Hugh Anderson and Art McCluskie
The above 3 incidents are part of a very interesting story. Here are some
new working links:
of the events
of Old West Gunfights
- 1877, Wichita, KS.,Sylvester Powell by Marshal Meagher.
- May 11, 1894, Cottonwood Falls, KS.,Karl Kuhl a 20 year old employee
of "The Courant.", shot by George Rose.
- May 13, 1894, Cottonwood Falls, KS., Body of George Rose found hanging
from railroad trestle.
Outlaws of Cowely County, Kansas
Other Stories about Cowley County, Kansas
Back to bbott's home page