SUMMIT BLOCK BUILDING.
ARKANSAS CITY, KANSAS.
HAND-BOOK OF ARKANSAS CITY
By the Editor of THE AMERICAN SHEEP BREEDER.
CHICAGO: C. S. BURCH PUBLISHING COMPANY.
The new Summit Block, built and owned by Messrs. Newman, Gooch, and Pickle.
[Note by RKW]
The Summit Block Building, with the date 1886 on its front, is in the 300 block South Summit Street, Arkansas City, Kansas. Miss Ethel Duvall purchased the building, and the Duvall Pharmacy occupied the north room (312 South Summit) and the Herman Davis Clothing Company, the south room (314 South Summit). In 1900 the south room was occupied by the Ed Gleason saloon.
312 South Summit Street: Meiers Tax Accounting.
314 South Summit Street: Used Books = Store [look up]
316 South Summit Street: Eyes for you and more - Optician [Georgette A. Peddy]
318 South Summit Street: Denim to Lace [Clothing Business]
318 South Summit Street: Sun Seekers [Tanning Salon]
320 South Summit Street: Coffee Break.
322 South Summit Street: Crystal Barber Shop.
Larry Rhodes told me that the first third on the north end of Summit Block Building became known as the Eagle Block. [Address: 312 and 314 South Summit Street.]
[316 through 322 South Summit Street: That was the “Summit Block.”]
A. A. Newman & Co. was a partnership until March 1887.
Partners: A. A. Newman, his brother-in-law, Wyard E. Gooch, and J. R. L. Adams.
In March 1887, partnership was dissolved. Company became a joint stock company.
Name Change: The Newman Dry Goods Co.
Arkansas City Traveler, January 21, 1885.
We see some of our neighboring towns making loud brags about the amount of improvements made in their respective localities. We are candid in saying that it is impossible to ascertain the amount of improvements made here in the last year.
Noted: Newman, building, block 69, $1,000.
In another column on the same date, another article noted that the contemplated building, to be started in the Spring, would be 50 x 100 feet.
Sherburne and Pickle block, erected in 1885, located in the 100 block South Summit, later became the Derry Bakery block.
Arkansas City Traveler, October 7, 1885.
A Brief Statement of the Building Growth of Arkansas City.
The cry of hard times may be raised, but where building activity continues unabated, there can be no cause for dejection. Almost every day we see new buildings started, all of a permanent and solid character and an evidence of the progress and thrift of the city. In the burnt district foundations are being dug for six new business buildings, two story and basement, each 25 feet by 100. William Gall, the architect, has prepared the plans for four of these buildings, those of J. H. Sherburne, S. B. Pickle, Mrs. Benedict, and Dr. Shepard, and this row of iron fronts, extending 100 feet, with plate windows and elaborate finish, will be an enduring monument to the enterprise and growth of our city. Messrs. Kroenert & Austin, at the south end of the burnt region, intend to erect a one story brick, uniform with the building adjoining it on the south (Mowry & Sollitt’s drug store), and Mr. Bittle, at the north end, is excavating his foundation without having decided fully on his plan.
Just north, the handsome stores of Dr. Chapel and W. B. Bishop have received tenants, and the finishing touches are being given to the upper floors. They are being finished off for dwellings or offices, the doctor retaining a portion of his upper floor for a medical office. On the opposite side T. H. McLaughlin is making progress with his double building, putting in such solid work as to secure the safety against all stress of wind and weather.
Mr. Gall has finished the plans of J. C. Topliff’s new double building south of the Hasie block. This will be in keeping with the elegance of the structure it adjoins, and will be the cause of just pride to our citizens. On the corner just south, the Frick Bros., new building shows off to advantage, and when the upper rooms and basement are finished, will furnish commodious and handsome quarters for the occupants. At the other end of the block, Ed. Grady has begun to dig the foundation for another first-class brick store and residence, and there is talk that Messrs. Chambers, Newman, Hess, and Dunn will join in the erection of three brick stores on the site lately occupied by Mr. Grady as a coal yard.
Mr. C. D. Burroughs’ handsome stone building across the way is likely to be rented for a hotel. It is eligibly situated for such a purpose and has room for the comfortable accommodation of fifty guests.
Hermann Godehard’s new and commodious brick store and G. W. Miller & Co.’s new hardware store are now finished and occupied and are not to be forgotten in enumerating our recent city improvements. O. P. Houghton’s 32 foot extension to his dry goods store still leaves him insufficient room, but as it is now late in the season, we believe he defers rebuilding the main part of his house till the coming spring. The Johnson Loan and Trust Co., have also postponed the erection of their two-story office till after the winter is past. The large extension to the Arkansas City Bank has been completed recently, but the carpet and furniture for the private rooms are not yet in place.
This in addition to the many tasteful private residences that have been built and are now in process of construction, makes a creditable record for Arkansas City, and shows that in growth and business prosperity she keeps fully abreast with her sister cities.
Arkansas City Traveler, October 7, 1885.
Permission was granted J. C. Topliff to use the street for building material while erecting his double house next to the Hasie block.
A similar privilege was granted Edward Grady while building a brick store on Summit Street, corner of Third Avenue.
City Clerk Benedict asked permission to move the building on the rear of his lot (sold to Joseph Bittle) across Central Avenue to the rear of Judge Bonsall’s office. Granted.
The subject of curbing and guttering Summit Street was introduced by Councilman Dunn. He said the grade must be established before this work is begun. The city clerk informed Mr. Dunn there was an old grade established, the record of which, he believed, was to be found among Judge Bonsall’s papers. It was agreed by the council that the grade should be 10 inches, from the centre of the street to the curb, instead of 18 inches as first designed.