[EAST SIDE OF MAIN STREET, WINFIELD.]


Am going to send a number of files to help figure out the mystery.

1. Starting with Boyer...Under c: MyFiles\legal\BoyerJudgeWm

Winfield Messenger, November 1, 1872. Front Page.

W. M. BOYER, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE, Winfield, Kansas.

Office, two doors north of the Walnut Valley Billiard Hall, in the News Room.

Winfield Courier, February 15, 1873.


Office at Boyer’s News Depot, Main St., Winfield, Kansas.

Winfield Courier, January 27, 1876.

FRANK GALLOTTI will open a clothing store at Boyer’s old stand.

GREEN has purchased the news department and stationery of Boyer.

The tobaccos and cigars that Boyer used to keep can be found at Jim Hill’s. He purchased the whole stock, and will keep up the assortment.

Arkansas City Traveler, February 9, 1876. Editorial Page.

Sauntering around town we met Prof. Lemmon, fat and hearty, who was pleased to inform us he pulled up the beam at 200 pounds. We expressed our appreciation of his strength and afterward silently admired his ability. Passing Gallotti & Boyer’s new Clothing House, we were seized upon and endeavored to be persuad­ed to buy a coat “vhat fit us, choost like paper on a vall. One dat vas made for de President’s son, und de President’s son he died, and dat is vy ve have de coat.”

Winfield Courier, August 24, 1876.

W. M. BOYER started east last Sunday morning, called suddenly to his wife’s sick-bed by a telegraph dispatch.

Arkansas City Traveler, August 23, 1876.

FRANK GALLOTTI, of the firm of Boyer and Gallotti, Winfield, called on us last week. Frank enjoys the reputation of being one of the jolliest and best fellows in Southern Kansas, and as the same can be said of Mr. Boyer, it is safe to infer that they are doing a thriving business in the clothing trade.

Winfield Courier, September 14, 1876.

J. P. Short is “running” Boyer & Gallotti’s clothing store during the absence of the firm.

Wallis Brothers open up grocery store at Ford’s old stand...


Winfield Courier, March 9, 1876.


Keeps on hand a full supply of GROCERIES, PROVISIONS, DRY GOODS, BOOTS, SHOES, HATS AND CAPS. A full assortment of Yankee Notions and Millinery Goods.

Also manufacture Harness, Saddles, Collars, Bridles, Whips, etc. Only the best workmen employed. All work in this line warranted. If you can’t find what you want elsewhere, call at Henry T. Ford’s Store, East Side Main Street, Winfield, Kansas.

N. B. A Job-wagon, carrying Yankee Notions from this House, circulates in this and adjoining counties.

Ford file interesting! See MyFiles\ableader\Win\FordHenryT

Winfield Courier, March 23, 1876.

CIVIL DOCKET. FOURTH DAY. Henry T. Ford vs. N. Roberson.

Nate Roberson fits into the puzzle also...See ableader\Win\RobersonNate

Winfield Courier, January 23, 1874.

Nate Roberson has moved his harness shop into the building formerly occupied by the Telegram office.

Winfield Courier, May 8, 1874.



Winfield Courier, September 9, 1875.

Nate Roberson had a new addition built to his harness shop last week.

Next: J. C. Franklin. See ableader\Win\FranklinJC

Winfield Courier, August 10, 1876.

Mr. J. C. Franklin has purchased Nate Roberson’s harness shop.

Winfield Courier, August 15, 1878.

J. C. Franklin has sold his harness and saddlery to F. J. Sydal, late of Cedarvale, and will move to California, where he has friends and property.

Next: F. J. Sydal. See ableader\Misc\SydalFJ

Winfield Courier, September 12, 1878.

Saddles from three dollars each up to twenty dollars at F. J. Sydal’s. His harness stop is at Franklin’s old stand.

Winfield Courier, May 8, 1879.

In this paper will be found the “ad” of our reliable harness man, F. J. Sydal. Mr. Sydal has had years of practical experi­ence in the harness business, and knows what he is selling.

AD: The Old Reliable HARNESS & SADDLE SHOP/F. J. SYDAL, Propri­etor. Shop on Main Street, just north of the crossing on Ninth Avenue.

Winfield Courier, February 12, 1880.

Great Disaster! Three hundred persons lost their lives by the fall of the bridge across the Fay in Scotland, and hundreds of others are maimed for life by using old and worthless Harness. To avoid such a calamity, Buy Your Harness of Sydal. Opposite the Opera House.


Winfield 1880: Sydal, F. J., 37; spouse, R. E., 36.

Walnut Township 1881: Sydal, F. J., 38; spouse, Rose, 35.

Winfield Directory 1880:

SYDAL, F. J., saddlery and harness, Main, e. s. between 8th and 9th avenues;

r., 9th avenue, s. s. between Manning and Menor.

Busby, Mrs. Imogene, dressmaker, Josephine Mansfield, bds. F. Sydal.

Chambers, J. B., harness-maker, F. J. Sydal, r. Manning, e. s. bet 7th and 8th avs.

Note the next one, J. H. Stauffenberg. See MyFiles\aaawin\TailorStauffenbergJH

Winfield 1880: J. H. Stauffenberg, 33; spouse, Louise, 24.

Not sure of items in Winfield Directory 1880...

First item shows Stauffenberg was between 8th and 9th Avenues on Main Street.

Later he is shown as being between 10th and 11th Avenues.

According to Directory he had just opened an establishment next door to Harter’s Drug Store.

Winfield Directory 1880.

STAUFFENBERG, J. H., merchant tailor, Main, e. s. between 8th and 9th avenues;

r. 6th avenue, between Millington and Loomis.

J. H. STAUFFENBERG. Merchant Tailor.

This gentleman has recently opened a first-class tailoring establishment on Main street next door to Harter’s Drug Store.

Winfield Courier, May 6, 1880.

Mr. J. H. Stauffenberg, merchant tailor, advertises in this paper. His shop is next door to Sydal’s harness shop.


GETTING BACK TO WALLIS BROTHERS. See ableader\Win\WallisBrothers

Winfield Courier, January 4, 1877.

ROBERT WALLIS and family, relatives of W. M. Boyer, have arrived and will stay. Robert and C. C. will open up a grocery store at Ford’s old stand. Robert bought Sheridan’s farm, west of town. Sheridan goes to Oregon.

Winfield Courier, February 8, 1877.

Here We Are! WALLIS & WALLIS, Retail Dealers in Staple and Fancy GROCERIES,

FANCY CANDIES, CANNED FRUITS, DRIED FRUITS, And everything usually kept in a first-class Grocery house. STOCK ENTIRELY NEW. Our stock of Candies and Canned Fruits, which is the largest ever brought to Winfield, is fresh and of the very best quality.

Cigars and Tobacco a specialty. We buy and sell for cash, and CASH ONLY.

East side Main St. (Ford's old stand). WINFIELD, KANSAS.

Winfield Courier, March 1, 1877.

Late improvements help the appearance of the storeroom of Wallis & Wallis. They now have a fine storeroom in which is a large stock of groceries which is new and fresh throughout.

Jay Page: Purchases lot between Wallis & Wallis and Boyer’s clothing store...

See the following file for Jay Page: MyFiles\Murder\TrialWebbLJ


Winfield Courier, June 27, 1878.

C. L. Harter, sheriff to Jay Page, lot 9, block 128, Winfield, $475.

Susan J. Ford to Jay Page, lot 9, block 128, Winfield, $1.

Jay Page mentioned in paper...

Winfield Courier, December 20, 1877.

Jay Page, a gentleman lately from Eldorado and Topeka, has purchased the lot between Wallis & Wallis’ grocery house and Boyer’s clothing store on Main street in this city, and will immediately go to work putting up a two-story brick business house thereon.

Winfield Courier, January 31, 1878.

J. Hoenscheidt is the architect employed by J. C. Fuller, M. L. Robinson, Jay Page, the Misses Aldrich, E. P. Hickok, C. Farringer, and others in the erection of their new residences. These residences will be built in modern style, to combine symmetry and beauty with convenience and stability, and will cost from two to seven thousand dollars each; hence the propriety of employing a first-class architect.

Winfield Courier, February 21, 1878.

The new stone building of Jay Page is rapidly nearing completion.

Winfield Courier, April 11, 1878.

The front of Jay Page’s new saloon is painted black, will be gold leafed, and will be the handsomest front in town.

Winfield Courier, April 25, 1878.

The City Council met Monday evening last and voted to grant licenses to three saloons on petitions of J. Likowski, J. Page, and James Var.

Winfield Courier, May 16, 1878.

Jay Page keeps the only ice in town and that’s used only for “medical purposes.”

Brief mention of Webb shooting Page...

Winfield Courier, June 6, 1878.

On last Saturday, June 1st, about four o’clock p.m., Jay Page, saloon keeper of this place, was shot and killed by L. J. Webb, attorney, and member of the House of Representatives of the State. Crowds of men immediately assembled around the scene of the transaction and great excitement prevailed. At the time of the shooting Mr. Page was standing against the counter of his saloon in conversation with Frank Manny, when Mr. Webb entered from the back room; and walking up to within about twelve feet of Mr. Page, drew a revolver from his pocket and fired—the ball entering Page’s left breast about five inches above the nipple. Page ran out the front door, blood gushing from his mouth and nostrils, crying that Webb had killed him. He ran along the sidewalk perhaps 100 feet and fell. He was taken up, bleeding from the mouth profusely. He expired immediately. No word was spoken in the saloon by either Webb or Page. After firing the shot Webb turned to the counter, where he handed his pistol to J. L. M. Hill, deputy sheriff, and went out in custody of Hill.

When Page came to this place, he set himself to building a large stone two-story building with brick open front. The building was completed about six weeks ago, and is one of the large, substantial, and showy business houses of the city. It stands on the east side of Main Street, the fourth building north of Ninth Avenue. The lower story front room, about 25 by 50 feet, was occupied by Page as a billiard saloon, in which were a pool table and a counter and bar at the back end, where liquors were sold by the glass. Back of this was another room where card tables were kept. The upper story was divided into several rooms, some of which are supposed to have been occupied for gambling purposes. There have been rumors and surmises for several days past that green ones who have thought they were smart have been enticed into these rooms, where they lost their money; and now there are many dark hints being thrown out of drugged liquor, cold decks, pistols, roping in, etc., which in the present excitement it is impossible either to verify or refute. We are told that others have attempted to shoot Page but have been prevented by friends. Page leaves a wife, who was in a delicate situation, approaching confinement, and the effect of this blow may prove especially serious to her.

[Page Building: where murder took place.]

Winfield Courier, August 5, 1880.

Messrs. Hendricks & Wilson have rented the Page building, and will move their stock of hardware as soon as the Roland stock can be removed.



M. B. Wallis (not considered one of the “Wallis Brothers”) became the partner of W. M. Boyer. See file ableader\Win\WallisMB

Winfield Courier, January 25, 1877.

Dissolution Notice. The copartnership heretofore existing between W. M. Boyer and F. Gallotti, under the firm of Boyer & Gallotti, is this day, by mutual consent, dissolved. The business will be carried on at the old stand under the name of Boyer & Wallis, who assume all liabilities of the late firm, and collect all accounts due said firm.

W. M. BOYER, F. GALLOTTI. Winfield, Kansas, Jan. 22, 1877.

Winfield Courier, January 25, 1877.

MR. M. B. WALLIS has purchased Frank Gallotti’s interest in the stock of clothing formerly carried by Boyer & Gallotti. The business will be managed by the firm of Boyer & Wallis.

Winfield Courier, January 24, 1878.

The stone building beside Boyer & Wallis’ store is progressing rapidly.

[Think this might be reference to Page Building being erected.]

Winfield Courier, August 22, 1878.

Dissolution of Partnership. The partnership heretofore existing under the firm name of Boyer & Wallis is this 20th day of August, 1878, dissolved by mutual consent, J. O. Stuart taking the place of Boyer in said firm. All accounts due the late firm of Boyer & Wallis will be paid to their successors, Stuart & Wallis. Stuart & Wallis assume all liabilities of the late firm of Boyer & Wallis. W. M. BOYER. M. B. WALLIS. J. O. STUART.

All accounts due must be settled at once. STUART & WALLIS.

[Note: J. O. Stuart was an employee for firm before becoming partner with Wallis.]

Winfield Courier, January 2, 1879.

STUART & WALLIS, GENTS FURNISHING GOODS. East side of Main Street, Opposite Post Office. Winfield, Kansas.

Winfield Courier, March 6, 1879.

We understand that Messrs. Stuart & Wallis have suspended. We hope this is only a temporary embarrassment for we like the gentlemen and hope to see them succeed.

Winfield Courier, March 27, 1879.

J. P. Short has been appointed by the mortgagees to dispose of the Stuart & Wallis stock of goods.

Winfield Courier, May 1, 1879.

Mr. J. S. Mann, from St. Louis, has arrived in Winfield and will open up a stock of gents’ outfitting goods in the building formerly occupied by Stuart & Wallis’ clothing house.


Winfield Courier, May 1, 1879.

Marion B. Wallis to Ruth A. Wallis, undivided ¼ of lot 10, blk 128, $600.

Winfield Courier, May 22, 1879.

REAL ESTATE TRANSFER [IN THE CITY]: M. A. Millington to M. J. Wallis, lot 9, blk 111, Winfield. $275.

Winfield Courier, June 19, 1879.

Mrs. M. J. Wallis has purchased the Gully building, now being occupied by Hendricks & Wilson, for $1200.

George W. Gully was a plasterer. Never mentioned in paper until he was elected as a city commissioner in April 1878. He moved around and when last heard from had become a resident in Kansas City. See file ableader\Win\GullyGeorgeW

Winfield Courier, July 3, 1879.

REAL ESTATE TRANSFERS [CITY]: M. J. Wallis and husband to Margaret Pope, lot 9, block 111, Winfield. $310.

M. B. Wallis: moved to farm near Independence.


Hendricks & Wilson, who occupied the Gully building, purchased by Mrs. M. J. Wallis in June 1879...See file ableader\Win\HendricksAD

Winfield Courier, March 13, 1879.

We were pleased to meet, last Tuesday, Messrs. Hendricks & Wilson, from Pleasant Hill, Mo., who will open a hardware store in the building just south of Mrs. Stump’s millinery store. They are very pleasant gentlemen and we are glad to welcome them to Winfield as their future home. Their goods are now on the way, and they expect to open in a few days.

Winfield Courier, March 20, 1879.

Messrs. Hendricks & Wilson, of Pleasant Hill, Mo., have opened a new hardware store on Main street, south of the Williams House. They are live, enterprising men, and will undoubtedly do a good business.

Hendricks & Wilson, Dealers In  HARDWARE, 4TH DOOR SOUTH OF HORNING’S, Winfield, Kansas.

We have opened a Large, New and Complete Stock of HARDWARE, which we intend to sell at the Lowest Reasonable Rates FOR CASH.

We have on hand a full line of Wagon Woodwork, Shelf, and Builder’s Hardware.

Winfield Courier, March 27, 1879.

The following is a list of the principal business firms of Winfield.

HARDWARE. S. H. Myton, J. T. Weston, H. Jochems, Hendricks & Wilson.

Winfield Courier, May 22, 1879.

The Taggart building, opposite Hendricks & Wilson’s hardware store, has been rented for a grocery store.


HENDRICKS & WILSON, hardware stoves and tinware, Main e. s. bet 10th and 11th avs.

Hendricks, A. D. (Hendricks & Wilson), r. 11th avenue s. s. bet Bliss and Platter.


Hendricks & Wilson, hardware, 919 Main

Hendricks A D, res 609 e 11th

[Note: A. D. Hendricks’ partner was R. S. Wilson, who served as a City Councilman of Winfield for two terms. File on him is found elsewhere.]

Winfield Courier, August 5, 1880.

Messrs. Hendricks & Wilson have rented the Page building, and will move their stock of hardware as soon as the Roland stock can be removed.

Winfield Courier, March 24, 1881.

Messrs. Hendricks & Wilson have removed their hardware store to the old Sadler stand. This gives them more room, which they have needed badly.

Winfield Courier, April 7, 1881.



Winfield Courier, April 6, 1882.

Winfield is to have another new business building this spring. J. E. Conklin will erect a brick storeroom eighty feet deep on the site of the old Bliss storeroom, next to Baird’s. The building, when finished, will be occupied by Hendricks & Wilson’s hardware store.


J. S. MANN. From St. Louis. See file ableader\Win\MannJS

[Handled Clothing, Hats, Caps, Books, Shoes, and Gent’s Outfitting Goods.]

Winfield Directory 1880.

Graham, Geo., Clerk, J. S. Mann, boards Mrs. Bacon’s Restaurant.

MANN, J. S., clothing, boots, shoes, furnishing goods, hats, caps, and gloves;

Main, e. s. bet 8th and 9th avenues; r. Mansfield bet Blanden and Court House.

Scott, G. W., clerk, J. S. Mann, r. Loomis, w. s. bet 7th and 8th avenues.

Winfield Directory 1885.

Board of Education, 2nd ward: J. S. Mann; Geo. Ordway.

Mann J S, clothing, etc., 909 Main, res 1205 Millington

Winfield Courier, May 15, 1879.

Mr. J. S. Mann has refitted and refurnished the Boyer building on Main street, and has opened his stock of clothing, hats, caps, books, shoes, and gent’s outfitting goods. Mr. Mann has been in the clothing business for years and has the advantage of buying his goods at the very lowest wholesale prices, which advantage he proposes to give his customers by selling at the lowest reasonable rates and at ONE PRICE ONLY.

Winfield Courier, August 14, 1879.

J. S. Mann, the clothier, is erecting an immense sign over the front of his building.

Arkansas City Traveler, December 1, 1880.

Mr. Ed. Roland has gone to Winfield to take charge of J. S. Mann’s store during the latter’s absence, and may remain through­out the winter.

Arkansas City Traveler, August 10, 1881.

The Williams House, at Winfield, will after this week, be a thing of the past. Mr. Williams rented the building to J. S. Mann, who will use it for a clothing establishment.

Winfield Courier, September 8, 1881.

J. S. Mann is selling a pile of goods in his new location, corner of Main street and 10th avenue, formerly the “Williams House.”

Winfield Courier, July 13, 1882.

J. S. MANN, Outfitter for all Mankind. Corner Main Street and Tenth Avenue.

Winfield Courier, November 1, 1883.

J. S. Mann is doing a land office business in clearing out his Clothing and Men’s Furnishing Goods preparatory to moving into the new Torrance & Fuller building. Now is the time to buy your winter clothing at low prices.

Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 5, 1885.

J. C. Fuller has removed his office to the front room of his own building, No. 905 Main street, over Mann’s clothing store.

Winfield Monthly Herald, June, 1891.

J. S. MANN is the leading Clothier, Hatter, and Finisher, 909 Main Street. Mr. Mann always carries a large stock of goods to please his customers.


The following items re lot north of Boyer were found in the earlier newspapers...

Lot north of Boyer. Wm. Bartlow. Under c: MyFiles\ableader\Win\BartlowWm

Winfield Courier, December 17, 1874.

Wm. Bartlow has commenced excavating for a cellar on his lot on Main Street next to Boyer’s preparatory to erecting a building thereon.

It appears to me that Bartlow did nothing besides excavating place for a cellar. Next item refers to traveling tree man, Trissell. Under c: MyFiles\ableader\Misc\TrissellWB

Winfield Courier, May 31, 1877.

June is the best time to plant evergreens. Trissell, the tree man, will have two hundred on the lot next to Boyer’s in a few days. He sets them out and warrants them to grow.

Bartlow went through a messy divorce. Only other item relative to him and real estate is next...


Winfield Courier, May 16, 1878.

The Sheriff’s Sale of real estate in the following case was confirmed by the court and deed ordered to be made by the sheriff to the purchaser: C. C. Harris vs. William Bartlow et al. Under MyFiles\ableader\Win\HarrisCC