OLD LOG STORE.
DO NOT USE.
CONTAINS IDEAS ONLY!
It is interesting to note all the changes that took place to the Old Log Store, located at the southwest corner of Main Street and 9th Avenue, and other business houses north of it.
It is interesting to note all the changes that took place in one part of the central district of Winfield. At the beginning of 1873 W. H. H. Maris was the owner of a dry goods store, situated on the southwest corner of Main Street and 8th Avenue. In February 1877 Maris began constructing a stone building, two stories high, 25 by 100 feet in size, to replace his old wooden structure. J. B. Lynn and Warren Gillelen, partners, moved into the Maris’ building in September 1877. Chas. C. Black purchased the building from Mr. Maris in January 1880.
North of the Maris’ dry goods store was a lot containing the old Winfield Town Company building. J. C. Fuller removed this building in April 1873. On this lot a building was constructed in April 1876 that became the butcher shop of Gragg & Searl. In April 1877 James Allen was in charge of the Peoples’ Meat Market. In February 1879 Lofland & Gale were in charge of the “Black Front Cash Grocery” north of Maris’ dry goods store.
On the lot north of the Lofland & Gale grocery was a drug store owned by A. H. Green, a Winfield attorney. Green began to tear out the old front of his building in January 1873 when Enoch Maris and Dr. W. G. Graham secured it. [The next steps taken by Enoch Maris, reported by the Winfield Courier, are hard to follow as no mention of Dr. Graham is made. On February 15, 1873, the paper reported that Maris and Blandin had just opened a stock of drugs and toilet articles. This was followed by an article on March 13, 1873, that referred to Maris & Baldwin at the new drug store.] When the building of the drug store was completed in October 1873, there were three partners: Enoch Maris, of Winfield; B. F. Baldwin and O. F. Carson, both of Cherryvale. Mr. Carson departed in November 1874, moving back to Cherryvale, Kansas, where he was nominated in 1876 for Representative of the 47th district in Montgomery, Kansas. Mr. Baldwin became sole owner of the drug store on August 5, 1875, when Enoch Maris departed for El Dorado, Kansas.
Enoch Maris was one of people in Winfield who organized Adelphi Lodge, A. F. and A. M., on October 1870, and was an officer for many years. He served on the first board of trustees of the Presbyterian Church in Winfield, which was organized on January 19, 1873. Enoch was a veteran who served with Company F, 4 U. S. Cavalry. He assisted in organizing the Cowley County Soldiers’ Association. He also entered into business with others in building a drug store in Winfield. Mr. Maris departed from Winfield in August 1875 and started a lumberyard in El Dorado, Kansas.
B. Frank Baldwin.
B. F. Baldwin, from Illinois, was twenty-four years of age when he departed with his goods in a wagon from Cherryvale to Winfield in 1873. Besides running his drug store, he served as city clerk, school board clerk, and township treasurer. His younger brother, George Albert, came to Winfield on December 16, 1875, and helped him at the drug store, living at the Central Hotel, until he died at the age of sixteen on January 12, 1877, from pneumonia.
Mr. B. Frank Baldwin became a charter member and treasurer of the Winfield lodge of the “Knights of Honor,” established on February 20, 1877. The Winfield lodge was the first one started in Kansas. A secret society, it promoted the interests and welfare of its members, establishing a widows’ and orphans’ benefit fund that paid $2,000 on the death of a member.
In March 1878 Mr. Baldwin became quite ill and began to experience health problems that persisted. In June he sold his drug store to Messrs. Henry Brown and Quincy A. Glass.
Mr. Baldwin went to Texas with C. M. Scott and began to get better. In October 1878 he became cashier for the Citizens’ Bank at Winfield. In November that year he again became very ill. In April 1879 Baldwin became the vice president of the Winfield Bank after it consolidated with the Citizens’ Bank and assisted with plans to erect a brick building on the lot occupied by the Winfield Bank.
Plagued with continued bad health, Mr. Baldwin began to travel to different places in hopes of getting better. In May 1880 he journeyed to Colorado. He sent for his wife in August 1880 after settling for some time in Colorado Springs. They later moved to Silver Cliff, Colorado, where Mr. Baldwin began to experience good health and purchased a cattle ranch, which he rented for nearly $2,000 a year. He became involved in civic duties and in 1882 was elected as a representative from Custer County, Colorado.
Henry Brown and Quincy A. Glass.
Henry Brown and Quincy A. Glass came from different backgrounds. Henry Brown was a survivor of the Quantrill raid of Lawrence due to the inventiveness of some women who hid him from view. After living at Lawrence for seventeen years, Henry Brown moved to Pueblo, Colorado. He was about forty-eight years of age when he moved to Winfield with his wife, Charlotte, and son, Lewis. Mr. Quincy A. Glass, about twenty-nine years of age, was an experienced druggist who lived in Chicago, Illinois, before coming to Winfield with his wife, Mary. The Brown-Glass partnership, started in June 1878, dissolved in January 1880. Glass started another drug store in the south part of Winfield.
In March 1880 Henry Brown sold his residence on 10th Avenue to the school board, which erected the second ward schoolhouse on the quarter block owned by Mr. Brown.
In April 1881 Henry Brown and his son, Lewis, owners of Brown & Son drug store, purchased the property north of their drug store from Mrs. Whitehead, who was running a boarding house. They removed the frame house and proceeded to erect a two-story building with basement that was 23 feet by 77 feet. It was announced that Winfield stone would be used with a brick front, iron columns, and plate glass. Before the building was finished at 805 Main Street, Winfield, Kansas, part of which was maintained as the family residence, Brown & Son paid around $4,000. In January 1873 S. H. Myton operated a hardware store at this location on the west side of Main Street, two doors north of the Log Store in Winfield.
D. F. Best moved his stock of sewing machines into the building formerly occupied by Brown & Son in September 1881 after the Brown family moved into their new quarters.