NINTH AVENUE LIVERY STABLE.
[Stable Started by A. G. Wilson.]
Background: A. G. Wilson was deeply involved for years in the Winfield Livery Stable. He departed from the livery stable business in October 1877 when he sold his interest to J. L. M. Hill. A. G. Wilson, instead of leaving Winfield, built a residence on his stock ranch, southwest of Winfield. On it he started a milk business. In June 1878 he rented his farm to a man from Michigan. In August 1878 he advertised thirty milch cows for sale or trade for younger stock. In April 1879 A. G. Wilson sold a half interest in his dairy farm to Mr. J. Q. Oldham for $2,000. Around May 1, 1879, A. G. Wilson got back into the livery business as related below.
Ninth Avenue Stable. Started by A. T. Shenneman and Frank Millspaugh.
Winfield Courier, April 11, 1878. A. T. Shenneman has returned from Missouri bringing several fine teams and buggies, and will open a livery stable here.
Winfield Courier, April 25, 1878.
Messrs. Shenneman & Millspaugh have opened a new livery stable just west of Manning’s block.
A. G. Wilson and A. T. Shenneman. Name changed when Frank Millspaugh sells out his interest in livery stable to A. G. Wilson.
Winfield Courier, May 1, 1879.
We are informed that Mr. Frank Millspaugh has sold out his interest in the livery business of Shenneman & Millspaugh to Mr. A. G. Wilson.
Shenneman sells his interest in Ninth Avenue Stable to M. M. Thompson.
Winfield Courier, May 29, 1879. M. M. Thompson has purchased A. T. Shenneman’s interest in the livery business on Ninth Avenue. Mr. Shenneman will now devote his time to harvesting his 150 acres of wheat in Vernon township, and improving his fine farm.
Wilson and Thompson, name of the new firm, put on a forty foot addition in June 1879, using it as a carriage house. In July 1879 they add a harness room. In November 1879 Wilson & Thompson put in place an eight foot stone pavement in front of their livery stable.
A. G. Wilson. In December 1879 M. M. Thompson sells his interest in the livery business on Ninth Avenue to his partner, A. G. Wilson.
A. G. Wilson sells livery stable and stock to the following: James H. Vance, son-in-law of Sid S. Majors and at one time co-proprietor with Majors in the Central Hotel; and A. W. Davis, of New Salem, in December 1879...
Winfield Courier, December 25, 1879.
Mr. James Vance and A. W. Davis, of New Salem, have purchased the livery stable and stock of A. G. Wilson. Jim Vance is one of the most popular young men in town, an old liveryman, and will undoubtedly catch “the boys.” We wish the new firm success.
Vance & Davis, the new owners of Ninth Avenue Stable, are listed in the 1880 Winfield Directory, with the following address: Ninth Avenue, north side, between Main and Manning.
A. W. Davis sells his interest in livery stable to S. S. Majors on July 15, 1880, thus making James H. Vance and his father-in-law, Sid S. Majors, partners in livery stable.
Majors & Vance becomes the new name of livery stable on Ninth Avenue in July 1880.
Sid S. Majors and his son-in-law, James H. Vance, apparently did not stay friendly. In April 1882 Majors advertised his half interest in livery stable for sale, with the comment: “Good reason for selling.” At the same time Majors also advertised 160 acres of farm land, one mile from Seeley, for sale or trade.
In July 1882 Majors & Vance Livery & Feed Stable is advertised as being located west of the Post Office in Winfield, Kansas, on Ninth Avenue. They featured their carriages and teams that could be furnished on short notice and at reasonable terms.
Vance & Collins, the name of the new livery stable on Ninth Avenue, takes place after Sid S. Majors disposes of his interest in January 1883 to Mr. C. Collins of Oxford, Kansas. Vance and Collins evidently flourished. As a result, in April 1884 Collins started building a handsome residence on his quarter block located on the corner of Ninth Avenue and Mansfield Street.