Memo to Hawley and Bottorff:

I studied items at library yesterday (April 25, 2003) in order to trace again the data that my late husband, Richard Kay Wortman, uncovered relative to the Indian Mounds for the chapter he wrote concerning Indian mounds discovered near Arkansas City.

In trying to answer Mr. Hawley’s query as to whether I knew anything about Charles N. Hunt or his son Edwin [Elwin], a writer for the Traveler, Dr. C. S. Acker, Milton B. Vawter, dentist, etc., I dug up all the information I could on various people.

                                                   First Subject: C. N. Hunt.


Hunt, C. N., 28; spouse, H. E., 27.

                  [Note: C. N. Hunt was Postmaster before he was elected Mayor.]

C. N. Hunt: Mayor in 1918...

Arkansas City Traveler, Wednesday, December 11, 1918.

O. S. Gibson, who was ousted from the mayor’s office by the supreme court of Kansas a couple of years ago, has announced that he is going to be a candidate for the office of mayor at the spring election. He claims he wants to be vindicated. Just how his being a candidate will vindicate him when the supreme court of the state found him guilty as charged, a man with average intelligence will fail to see.

The court ousted Mr. Gibson from office on the charge of bribery and made him pay what salary he had collected as mayor to the successful contestant, C. N. Hunt, present mayor.

If all the people in Arkansas City voted for Mr. Gibson, it would not vindicate him. No one can blot out the decision of the supreme court.

All Mr. Gibson’s candidacy will do will be to continue the Hunt-Gibson town row. If Arkansas City is wise, it will not permit this to happen.


[Next I came up with an item in March 20, 1919, which concerned the employees of C. N. Hunt, who was running the Empire Laundry. One of these employees was Sam Warmbrodt, grandfather of Elizabeth Taylor, the actress, whose mother took the stage name of “Sara Sothern.” The newspaper item was hard to read and I could well have some of the names wrong. The article was denoted as a “Political Advertisement.”]

                             WHAT THE EMPLOYES THINK OF C. N. HUNT.

Arkansas City Traveler, Friday, March 20, 1919.

We the undersigned employes of the Empire Laundry take this method of informing the public that we have been in the employ of C. N. Hunt for a period of from thirty-two years to a few weeks; that Mr. Hunt has always been courteous, considerate, and just in his attitude toward us. He has strictly complied with the rules and regulations of the Welfare Board, and it is unjust to maliciously charge him with unfair treatment of his employes.

The article was followed by the signature of employees for Hunt, followed by their period of employment. Sam Warmbrodt headed the list.

Sam Warmbrodt, 32 years.

Anna Wanner, 19 years.

Addie Bowman, 15 years.

May Hill, 6 years.

Mrs. M. L. Constant, 3 years.

J. A. Gravette, 2 years, 2 months.

Mrs. M. A. Goff, 1 year, 6 months.

Marie Boumeier, 1 year.

Annis Boumeier, 1 year.

Chas. A. Green, 1 year.

Sarah Myers, 1 year.

Maude Stonefield, 13 months.

Nola Huston, 6 months.

Della Ragsdale, 6 months.

Mattie Freedom, 5 months.

Lillian Parker, 1 month.

Charlotte Crawley, 1 month.

William C. Walters, 3 weeks.

W. W. Scott, 1 week.

Mrs. M. L. Roberts, 2 weeks.



Arkansas City Traveler, Monday, April 17, 1922. Front Page.

L. C. Brown was nominated city attorney, Ed Marshall, city clerk, O. S. Gibson, police judge, and Ben Cross, sanitary officer, by Mayor-elect George H. McIntosh at city hall this morning. None of the nominations were confirmed as there was no vote taken at this time. Following are appointments by the mayor to which the two commissioners raised no objections: Chester Daily for chief of police; for police officers, C. E. Elliott, Frank Ketch, Wm. M. Charles, Robert Atterberry, Wm. Jobe, and George Sims.

Those objected to or laid over were Ben Cross, for sanitary officer; O. S. Gibson, police judge; J. H. Knapp, dairy inspec­tor; E. G. Marshall, city clerk; L. C. Brown, city attorney.

Mayor Hunt stated that the city had tentatively agreed to take over the aviation field, on a lease basis of $150.00 per annum, and the mayor designated Commissioner Sturtz to take charge of the field as a matter of convenience to the aviation interests in transacting business with the city. This completed the session of the old administration.



Arkansas City Traveler, Friday, September 8, 1922.

C. N. Hunt, proprietor of the Empire Laundry, is at his home in a serious condition as the result of an accident which occurred last night, while returning to this city from Cherryvale, Kansas.


                                                 Second Subject: Elwin Hunt.

Elwin Hunt, son of Charles N. Hunt. RKW thought his name was “Edwin.”

Arkansas City Daily Traveler, Monday, October 31, 1921.

Elwin Hunt is taking his vacation this week from the News office and started the sale of his new book of poems, which is now on the market.

Elwin Hunt called as witness at Moncravie preliminary...


                                                 Death of Henry Moncravie.

On the night of June 1, 1917, in the south­west corner of the parking of the United Presbyterian Church, just north of the  Fifth Avenue sidewalk, at the B Street and East Fifth Avenue intersection, Arkansas City, Kansas, Henry E. Moncravie fell, after leaving the house of his estranged wife at 119 South C Street in that city.

That night the report from a gun was heard by several people near Mrs. Luella Moncravie’s residence. Al F. Good, at that time an express driver in Arkansas City, was walking by when Henry Moncravie approached him from the house, crying “Call a doctor, quick,” and then proceeded to the corner and turned west on Fifth Avenue. Mr. Good then heard a woman scream and a phone ring. He saw Mrs. Moncravie in front of the house, sobbing and talking to a neigh­bor lady, “I’ve shot him. I know I’ve killed him!”

                                                PRELIMINARY HEARING.

The preliminary hearing began at 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 20, 1917, in the large room in the basement of the Home National Bank building.

Judge G. H. McIntire was the presiding justice; and the stenographers were Miss Maurie Fleming and Miss Hattie Franey.

The array of attorneys in the case were as follows: for the state, attorneys James McDermott, Ed. J. Fleming, and C. S. Beekman;  for the defense, attorneys A. M. Jackson, A. L. Noble, and W. L. Cunningham. Mrs. Moncravie’s daughter, Miss Hazel Clubb, and her sister, Mrs. Baker, of Omaha, Nebraska, were present and sat at the table with her attorneys.

                                                               Elwin Hunt.

Elwin Hunt, city editor of the Eldorado Republican, son of C. N. Hunt of Arkansas City, told of seeing Henry Moncravie strike the defendant. That this took place in the spring of 1916. His description was graphic, humorous, and showed a most observing disposition. Hunt rapidly drew a map of the situation, describing it as he went, and even the spectators at a distance could get his idea. That on this occasion Mr. Henry Moncravie used a 3 foot 1 inch by 1 inch stick three feet long.

Elwin Hunt testified that while he was a guest at the house of Aunt Clara Farrar, he heard her exclaim loudly: “There is going to be a fight.” That he looked out the window and saw Henry Moncravie coming down a path towards Luella Moncravie at the rear of the Moncravie house. Being very deaf, Mr. Hunt testified that he could not hear what was said, but he observed that the Moncravies were talking to one another. That he then saw Henry Moncravie slap Luella Moncravie. That the defen­dant then struck back. That Mr. Moncravie dodged and she missed him. That Henry Moncravie then picked up the stick, previ­ously described by Mr. Hunt, and struck at Luella Moncravie with it. That the defendant then fled from the scene into the house.

                                               Third Subject: Dr. C. S. Acker.

Note: I set up a file on Dr. C. S. Acker and Dr. Milton B. Vawter. Both were involved with Dr. J. T. Shepard, an early physician in Arkansas City. A very interesting man, Dr. Shepard. I sent these files to Bottorff very recently as I tried to find out as much as I could about Acker and Vawter.

Acker was associated with Dr. Shepard when he first came to Arkansas City in 1885. Milton B. Vawter married the sister of Dr. Shepard on June 21, 1882, at the residence of Dr. and Mrs. J. T. Shepard.

 When searching through the microfilm I came across the death notice on Dr. Shepard...

Found in April 2003, Death Notice of Dr. J. T. Shepard...

[Note: Shepard died about the time Acker, Vawter, and others became interested in digging in the mounds.]

Arkansas City Traveler, Tuesday, December 3, 1896.

DIED.—This morning at 3:20 o’clock at the home of M. B. Vawter in the Fourth ward, from injuries received in the runaway accident Tuesday afternoon, Dr. James T. Shepard. The funeral will occur tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock from the Vawter residence with burial in Riverview cemetery. The deceased was a pioneer citizen of this vicinity and was extremely well liked and very highly respected by all who came in contact with him. He was born in 1833 and was almost 64 years of age. He leaves a wife, but no children to mourn his sudden death. At one time the deceased was one of the leading practicing physicians in this community. During the real estate excitement here in 1886-1887 he quit the practice of medicine and gave his attention to real estate transactions. He never recovered from the full effects of the boom and finally settled down on his farm north of the city. He was unfortunate in having runaway accidents. In the last eight or ten years he has had four runaways, the last one proving to be fatal. His death was the result of concussion of the brain. The attending physician says that the spine and neck were uninjured. The doctor, after he regained consciousness after the accident, realized that death was near and spoke of it. He rallied slightly last night, but this morning he took a sudden turn and died almost instantly. But a few seconds before death occurred, the attendants felt his pulse and it was quite strong. The pulse had scarcely been taken when the doctor stopped breathing and all was over.

Dr. Shepard was buried at Riverview Cemetery...

                                                        DR. C. S. ACKER.

Arkansas City Traveler, March 25, 1885.

Dr. C. S. Acker, of Chicago, visited the city Monday with a view of locating here in the practice of his profession.

Arkansas City Traveler, April 22, 1885.

Dr. C. S. Acker, formerly of Chicago, has come to locate in this city, and will attend to Dr. Shepard’s practice during his absence in the South. The doctor is a graduate from the Rush Medical College, and is a very affable gentleman.

Arkansas City Traveler, May 20, 1885.

Dr. C. S. Acker places his professional card in our columns. He has lately hung out his shingle in this city, and is working up a nice practice.


Office and residence in Commercial block. Prompt attention given to all calls in the practice of Medicine and Surgery, in city or country, night and day.

Dr. C. S. Acker becomes partner of Dr. J. T. Shepard...

Arkansas City Republican, August 15, 1885.

Drs. J. T. Shepard and C. S. Acker have entered into a partnership for the practice of medicine.

                                            Fourth Subject: Dr. M. B. Vawter.

                                            DR. M. B. VAWTER, DENTIST.

                                           [Brother of Jamison Vawter, M.D.]

[Note. Dr. M. V. Vawter married Alma Dixon, who was a sister of Sarah Dixon Shepard, wife of Dr. J. T. Shepard of Arkansas City.]

Arkansas City Traveler, January 7, 1880.

Dr. M. B. Vawter, dentist, has a card in this number of the TRAVELER AND solicits your patronage. He advertises his work as within the reach of all. Those who cannot afford a good set of teeth at these prices had better hold their jaw. Give the Dr. a call.

                                                           M. B. VAWTER


                                             Teeth, Upper or Lower Set $10.00.

                            Office in the old Traveler Building, Arkansas City, Kansas.

Arkansas City Traveler, December 22, 1886.


DENTISTS. Over First National Bank.

Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, March 26, 1887. From Tuesday’s Daily.

Jas. A. Loomis and M. B. Vawter have entered into partnership with Andrews & Anderson in the real estate business. The new firm will be Andrews, Anderson & Co., and their office is over the National bank.

Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, April 2, 1887. From Saturday’s Daily.

Dr. M. B. Vawter, of the firm of Andrews, Anderson & Co., made several large sales of real estate to Louisville friends yesterday.


I retraced items in Traveler concerning the mounds and also studied what RKW had done in first book...Here goes:

The May 15, 1893, issue of the Arkansas City Traveler reported that E. S. Beavers, a well-known farmer living near Arkansas City made an interesting archeological find on his farm.

                (His farm became a part of the Arkansas City County Club at a later date.)

The item follows:

Mr. Beavers was obliged to penetrate an ancient mound located on the spot where he decided to dig a proposed cellar. He found that the mound contained caves or recesses, about a foot and a half wide at the top, which assumed wider proportions as they went down until they were about seven feet wide. The caves contained human bones, pieces of pottery, ashes, and charcoal. Large flint implements, probably used for cutting purposes, were deposited in a small cavity in the bottom of the largest cave. These flints were similar to some found in an Indian grave at Oak Mills, Kansas, some years prior to 1893.

The bones found in this mound did not show any marks of fire, although they were badly decomposed and only small portions could be preserved. No complete skulls were found, but Mr. Beavers found an upper jaw containing five well preserved teeth. A great many fragments of pottery and arrow points were picked up on the surface of the mound, located on a high ridge on the east side of the Walnut River, and about 200 feet above the river bed. The mound measured about 30 feet in diameter at the base, and was about four feet in height. It was composed of earth and stones, the latter being different from any stone that is found in the bluffs in that vicinity. They were evidently carried from a distance. Several other mounds were explored on Mr. Beavers’ farm, but nothing of interest was found. The reporter commented: “There are three mounds that have never been explored.”

The caves or recesses found in these mounds made them different from any previously explored in the state.

Mr. Beavers stated he was inclined to believe that these peculiar caves were constructed many ages ago, before the period of the red Indians, and belong to the ancient cave dwellers’ age.


The following item appeared in the Traveler on December 23, 1896:

“There are some mounds in Cowley County that give evidence of another race. It is not known whether it was the mound builders or some other race. Recently some parties have been digging in these mounds and have found arrow heads, bones, pieces of pottery, etc. One of the prominent geologists of the state is going to make some investigations soon.

K. C. World.


I found the following article, which refers to a “Natural History Society.”

One of the items covered at the meeting of the “Society” was a statement made by Dr. J. H. Guinn, of Arkansas City; also reference was made to a “Museum.”

                                                    Natural History Society.

Arkansas City Traveler, Wednesday, December 16, 1896.

The society was called to order at 2 o’clock, Saturday, December 12, by the president, R. B. Dunlevy. The minutes were read and approved. The constitution and by-laws, as reported by the committee, were adopted. The following papers were read.

“Theory of Petrification,” Forrest H. Rose, Dodge City. The paper dealt with the varieties and processes of petrifaction and was very comprehensive.

“Chemical Analysis of Permian Geodes,” R. D. Combs. Mr. Combs has been devoting considerable time to the analysis of some geodes found on the west slope of the Walnut river. He finds, among other minerals, sulphate of stratium, or celestite, a quite rare substance.

“Notes on a Paper Published in 1772,” Mark White. Mr. White read several extracts of news concerning King George and Lord Norton which were very interesting.

“Rocks of Cowley County,” C. N. Gould. The paper dealt with the geology of the county in general.

“A Bullet with a History,” G. F. Gilliland, of Maple City. Geo. W. Barrier, of Co. B, 20 N C infantry, was wounded in the thigh at Gettysburg July 1, 1863, and the bullet was extracted at the knee May 5, 1884.

“Early History of Cowley County,” J. H. Anderson. Mr. Anderson has been making a special study of the early history of the county and gave some very interesting descriptions of pioneer life.

[Above item was of interest to me: I have never heard of Anderson’s History.]

All the papers were followed by general discussions.

Dr. J. H. Guinn, of Arkansas City, gave a short statement of the excavations he has been conducting among some ancient mounds. Dr. Guinn has very kindly promised to deliver a lecture on X Rays before the society in the near future.

The announcement was made that articles for the museum might be left at Somermier’s drug store.

R. B. Dunlevy, F. H. Rose, and C. N. Gould were elected curators of the museum.

The society adjourned to the museum where an hour was spent in examining the various collections. General surprise was expressed that so much had been collected in so short a time.


The following item appeared in the Traveler on Thursday, December 17, 1896.

                                                  REVIVAL OF INTEREST

                                In What the Mounds of Cowley County Contain.

                                 Some of our Citizens Digging Into Them Lately.

Lately there has been a revival of interest in the mounds that are located in Cowley County and a number of our citizens have been digging into them during the fine weather we have enjoyed the past month.

The idea that this country was once inhabited by another race several hundred years ago is more prevalent than it was. In the minds of many there is not the least particle of doubt but that the mound builders were here long before we were.

Several years ago the St. Louis Republican published a lengthy article upon the mounds in the United States. It referred to the mounds to be found in Cowley County as being the best for investigation; that the best finds had been made in the mounds here. The principal cluster of mounds in the county is on the farm of E. S. Beavers, two and a half miles east of the city. There are four or five of them there and they have yielded up already several fine specimens, as well as furnishing considerable historical data for scientists. However, a complete overhauling of the mounds has never been made. In the past five years a number of our citizens have gone to these mounds, dug into them, and secured a few specimens.

During the boom when farms were being laid out into town lots, Mr. Beavers talked of platting his farm in ten acre tracts for suburban residence purposes. He thought of building a big residence himself and as a site selected one of the mounds on his farm. He sunk in a cistern at the edge of the mound, did some other digging, and unearthed a few specimens. However, the boom went back on us and Mr. Beavers never built his residence nor finished his excavations.

The mounds on Mr. Beavers’ farm are good sized ones. They are about three feet high and forty feet in circumference.

These mounds have attracted the attention of several citizens here who are interested in scientific research. Several years ago Dr. C. S. Acker went out and dug into one of the mounds a short distance and secured several rare specimens. He took out a number of arrowheads, pieces of pottery, stone ax, bones of human beings, etc. He never followed up his first investigations. He has intended to but has put it off from time to time.

Dr. Guinn has also dug into the mounds and secured several specimens of arrowheads, bones, pottery, stone ax, stone mallet, half face of an idol, a mortar, two bricks, etc. Some of the pottery specimens contained carvings. The two bricks, an old Indian informed the doctor, were formerly used for the rubbing of hides, taking the fat and hair off. The doctor is interested in investigations of this kind. Some time ago a man digging a well on a farm on the Ninnescah river near Conway Springs dug into the bones of some huge animal. The doctor heard of the find and bought the privilege of the well digger to take the bones out whenever he desired. He will unearth his mastodon at an early day. From the few bones taken out in digging the well, the doctor estimates that the animal was fifteen feet in height. One bone secured was 142 inches in circumference, one tooth weighed seven pounds, and the jaw bone was a mammoth one.

A day or two since C. C. Sollitt and C. N. Hunt visited the mounds on the Beavers’ place and did some digging. They, too, found arrowheads and some bones. Mr. Hunt found a piece of a stone urn.

Next Monday, C. N. Gould, one of the best geologists in the state, will come here and visit the mound and make some investigations. There is little doubt but that he will find something that will be of interest.


The following item appeared in the Traveler on Wednesday, December 23, 1896.

                                                    ADDITIONAL LOCAL.

                                                          THE BEST YET.

              Dr. C. S. Acker and C. N. Hunt Unearth a Portion of a Sacrificial Altar

                                                    in the Beavers’ Mounds.

It is quite a fad now for people to visit the ancient mounds easy of the city on the Beavers’ farm and dig a bit to see what they can find. The greater portion of them do not dig very deep and a few feet down makes them content with the find of small relics. There are others who are determined to investigate fully. Two of the most persistent workers are Dr. C. S. Acker and C. N. Hunt. They were at the mounds yesterday and dug into the earth eight or nine feet in the largest mound. They say there are a dozen mounds over there and in time intend “wading” through them all. They had good luck yesterday and made a valuable find.

In excavating the big mound, they inform us, when about four feet beneath the surface, they came upon a number of stones, so arranged as to form a vault or a small chamber. After removing these stones, they found an empty space of little more than a foot in depth, where they came upon ashes. Mixed with these ashes were found a few small pieces of charred bone and a few pieces of bone which crumbled immediately on being exposed to the atmosphere. However, a very few pieces remained intact so as to be examined sufficiently to ascertain that they were human, such as a femur or thigh bone of a child, two vertebrae, the axis and atlas. This layer of ashes varied from two to six inches in thickness. Immediately beneath the layer of ashes and about eight feet beneath the surface was presented a reddish brown cement. This was several inches in thickness and rested upon and imbedded within which was unearthed what is purported to be a sacrificial stone altar. This altar consisted of two large stones, peculiarly fashioned and wrought so as to represent in the position found, a basin—or more properly, a nearly perfectly formed pelvis, with the pubic arch of the same formed and fashioned so that each segment was made to meet its fellow with a nicety which seems marvelous; the body of the two stones being about seven inches in thickness, two feet in length, twelve to fourteen inches in width, but tapering toward the arch, the arch being not more than one half inch in thickness and about two and one half inches in breadth; from the center of the body of the stone outward to its extremity it tapered gradually by peculiar swells and depressions toward the flaring end or rim of the pelvis. Where it was joined to the larger stone was found a stone somewhat smaller than the other two and crudely resembling a human heart. This whole altar was cemented firmly to the solid rock bed; beneath this bed lay a perfectly smooth and flat surface of native limestone. Previous to the finding of the arched stone vault, they found a few pieces of pottery in which re found many little pieces of shell and very small pebbles, one piece consisting of the handle of an urn or vase—the handle was shaped very much as the handle of our modern jugs—also a small arrowhead worked down to a very fine point. They also found attached to the larger stone composing the altar a very small ornament of a dark brown color and nicely polished, and very close to the altar they found two small pieces of stone curiously wrought, whether to represent some object or to be used in the sacrificial rite is mere conjecture. From the findings it is thought that these gentlemen dug into the sacrificial mound. This altar was the most sacred altar. They made it to represent those portions of the human body which at the earliest dawn of history were considered sacred, namely, the pelvis and heart.

This afternoon it was learned that Arthur Parker a few years ago dug into this mound and at the same spot. He found a stone war club, which was evidently used about the time a sacrifice was offered up.

The Arkansas City Traveler of December 30, 1896, had this follow-up story.

Dr. C. S. Acker and Charles N. Hunt are continuing their geological researches and have again been richly rewarded by a valuable find.

In the mound they please to designate as the Sacrificial mound, where they found the sacrificial stone altar, they excavated at a distance of about ten feet to the north of the location of the altar and about nine feet below the surface and two feet beneath the strata or layer of ashes, at this point about six inches thick. They came upon a vase or urn made and used by prehistoric man, the most perfect and best preserved urn of the kind and period yet found in this county, the composition and workmanship evidencing the fact of its having been when the science and art of making pottery was still in its infancy. The fact of the proximity to the sacrificial altar would tend to confirm the theory that it was used for mortuary purposes, perhaps consecrated for the purpose of receiving the sacred blood from the heart of the hapless victim of sacrifice.

The material composing the urn is somewhat similar to the early Celt pottery, having been formed of a coarse clay, mixed with small pieces of shell and a very few minute pebbles, and having been moderately well baked, possibly in the sun, but more probably by surrounding it with combustible vegetable matter, as remains of vegetative formation are frescoes on some parts of the vase.

The color of the vase on the external surface is of a dark slate, interspersed with the white and pink particles of glittering shells, while the internal surface is uniformly of a pale terra cotta or light tan color, in shape somewhat resembling the ancient Egyptian vases, while in proportion it shows good form and proper symmetry, its dimensions being as follows: Height about 10 inches, at the greatest circumference measuring 33½ inches, at the neck or inward curve 25 inches, the rim on top 26½ inches, through its two handles which are uniform and symmetrically fashioned; 30 inches from the center to the handles to the margin of the rim the distance is 4½ inches; while from the point of attachment or conjunction of the upper and lower part of the handle to the body of the vessel is 4 inches, the handles themselves being 2 inches in circumference. The thickness of the body of the urn varies from three-sixteenths of an inch around the rim to one-fourth or possibly a trifle more about the fundus or body of the vase.

Contiguous to this vase in the mound was found a single tooth, evidently the incisor of (a) man, and from its dimensions, points to that distant age when giants walked the earth, the tooth being a little more than an inch in length and about three-eights of an inch across the anterior margins.

These gentlemen are about to commence the excavation of another mound and from the thorough and comprehensive manner in which they carry on their investigations our readers may reasonably expect and look forward to some interesting discoveries which may assist in throwing light upon the dim and hazy morning of man’s existence.


Note: RKW was unable to find other items after this. The newspapers were very hard to read and sometimes it was impossible to unearth subsequent articles that might have appeared.


RKW commented:

In 1930 Edwin [Elwin] Hunt, son of C. N. Hunt, said his father and C. S. Acker spent about $500 in excavation and research work, and gathered a large mass of Indian curios, including historic trade goods, and the remains of several flintlock rifles—all of which they had on display in the Colorado Block. Tragically, the building burned one night, and the collection was consumed by the fire.

The Colorado building was located on the corner of East Fifth Avenue and Summit Street, Arkansas City, Kansas, across the street south of the Home National Bank.

I hope that the information that I have gathered on C. N. and Elwin Hunt, Dr. C. S. Acker, Dr. Milton B. Vawter, etc., are of some help. MAW