D. B. McCOLLUM.
File needs to be worked on...
[DECEMBER 1870.] PAGE 18.
D. B. McCOLLUM was one of the most extensive land owners of Cowley County, Kansas. He resided in Pleasant Valley Township, on section 14, township 33, range 4 east. He was born February 9, 1834, in Ohio County, Indiana (which was absorbed by Dearborn County). He was a son of John and Rebecca (Dixon) McCollum.
His father, John McCollum, was of Scotch descent and was born in West Virginia, where he farmed for many years. At a later period he moved to Indiana, where his death occurred in 1846. He located in Ohio County in 1818. His wife was of English and Welsh extraction, and died several years previous to the demise of her husband. Five children were born to them, of whom three attained their majority, namely: Thomas D., who died in Cowley County in 1879, and whose widow and sons then lived with D. B., who never married; John W., who died in Indiana in 1855; and the subject of this sketch.
D. B. McCollom remained on his father's farm until he became of age, and afterward carried on farming on his own account, and operated a grist-mill, which he owned. During, and a short time after, the Civil War, he was engaged in the lumber business. In 1869 he sold out all his interests in Indiana, and moved west to Wilson County, Kansas. There he took up a claim, but shortly afterwards sold it, and in December 1870 drove through to Cowley County, where he bought section 23, in Liberty Township. He improved that piece of property and made it his home until 1876, when he moved to Pleasant Valley Township, and bought the northeast quarter of section 14, township 33, range 4 east. His substantial, nine-room, square house was built in 1887, and stood on the northeast quarter, while the barn was on the northwest quarter of the section. Mr. McCollum was successful from the very start and invested his earnings in additional property. He owned 1,400 acres in Pleasant Valley Township, 400 acres in Liberty Township. About 900 acres of this extensive area was in pasture. Mr. McCollum raised many cattle and hogs. The balance under cultivation was mostly wheat and corn; there was good drainage due to the Walnut River. Considerable natural timber stood on the property. In later years three men were employed constantly, and many more hired during the busy season.
Mr. McCollum formerly belonged to the Masonic order. Religiously, he was a Christian of the Campbellite persuasion.