This was done by Kay at some time in the past. MAW 7/14/2000
BUILDING BLOCKS IN ARKANSAS CITY.
During the formation of the towns in Cowley County, it was the custom for individuals building in the business district to name and refer to their buildings as blocks. A lot of the present downtown Arkansas City buildings were referred to as blocks.
The American State Bank building was located at the northwest corner of Summit Street and Washington Avenue (227 South Summit.) It was later replaced by a three-story stone structure which housed the Security National bank. The American General Finance Co. is now there.
The old A. C. Bank building was at 125 South Summit. It was later acquired by W. R. Ranney, and was used as the Recreation billiard hall. It was acquired by the Union State Bank.
The Beard Block at 303 South Summit has the date 1905 on it. It was built to house the Beard family gun and sporting goods store.
Bittle Block. Located at the southwest corner of Summit and Central Avenue. The name "Bittle" and the date of the erection "1885" was carved in stone and placed in the front of the brick wall there. The Bittle block was later known as the Layne block, having been owned by the late T. M. Layne and his heirs for many years. The Bittle's and Layne's were related, and the property fell into the hands of the latter family. It later became the property of Mrs. Ida Cummins, who modernized it and leased it to the Skaggs chain stores. The Grinder Man is currently located there.
Bryant Hardware block. This was the location of the first hardware store when C.R. Sipes erected a small shack on this location and started business. Mr. S. J. Gilbert bought the store (He is a Great-Great Grandfather of Mr. William Howard.), and he later took a partner named Sturtz. Mr. Sturtz later bought out Gilbert. Sturtz later sold to Al. G. Wright who ran the store until he bought a location at 220 South Summit and moved his business there (he later acquired Bill Burton as a partner). Lou Bryant bought the location and established Bryant Hardware there. It is now being run by his grandsons, Alan and John.
The Central building, in the 100 block South Summit is now the W. M. Rowan block.
The Colorado block, the southeast corner of Summit Street and Fifth Avenue, was destroyed by fire on January 10, 1905. This had been the wooden Leland hotel from the early days. It was an imposing three-story building built of Colorado red stone. The fire started in the basement of the E. Kirkpatrick furniture store, first door south of the drug store on the corner. The blaze was reported to have started from a small trash fire in the basement of the furniture store. It was a bitter cold day with the temperature reaching 18 degrees below zero. Harry Simmons, a pioneer druggist, had just sold his drug store on the ground floor of the Colorado building to G. M. Bunker and his son-in-law, E. Kirkpatrick, who had the furniture store next door, then the Hamilton Hardware store, then the Unsell clothing store was the other one to be damaged by the fire. The Colorado block was rebuilt as the Holmes Block. renamed the Donohue Block and lastly the Johnson building. June 19, 1919, the Johnson building was sold to the Traders State Bank. The building was three stories and a basement, 25 foot by 132 foot. It was remodeled. It burned in 1931 and was rebuilt by the Howard family.
The Crescent building at 301 South Summit was built in 1905. E. L. McDowell moved from the Union State Bank building to become the building’s first tenant. Mr. McDowell retired and Dick Curtis ran the store until his premature death. The store was then converted into a restaurant with the Name of "Brick’s.”
The Fifth Avenue Block, which used to bear that name on the front, is located at 218 East Fifth Avenue and was later called the Windsor Hotel. It is a three story stone structure.
The Fifth Avenue Opera House became the Fifth Avenue Theater, owned by the Masonic Lodge and was really the Masonic Block. The building was razed and the Veteran of Foreign Wars post was built. When the V.F.W. moved to the north end of town the city acquired it for use as a recreation center.
The old H. Godehard block, at 213 South Summit, was erected by Hermann Godehard, who operated a bakery there in the early days. The Palace grocery store was there and it now is a part of the Anthony's store.
The Hasie block, one of the old timers in the 200 block, South Summit Street.
Hasie and Commercial Blocks.
Arkansas City Traveler, February 20, 1884.
Commercial Building Association.
The above is the name of a new stock company formed in this city last week, the charter members of which are M. S. Hasie, George E. Hasie, W. M. Sleeth, H. P. Farrar, A. A. Newman, T. H. McLaughlin, George W. Cunningham, and T. R. Houghton. The immediate object of this company is the erection of a building on Summit Street, just south of Cunningham’s new implement house, 125 feet front, 132 feet deep, and three stories high. The TRAVELER mentioned last week the fact that the Messrs. Hasie were to put up a commodious business structure, and when these gentlemen showed the design of their building to the gentlemen directly interested in the lots, and the suggestion was made that one solid block be built, the plan at once commended itself to all parties as one in keeping with the growth of our city. We have seen the plans for Messrs. Hasies’ part of the block, and must say they are very elaborate. It is of the style now most generally adopted by the San Francisco builders, known as the bay front style, above the first story. On the second story front are three bay windows, the center one square and the side windows octagonal. The front and rear of the first story will be almost entirely of glass, in order to get sufficient light to accommodate the great length. The height of the first story from ceiling to floor will be seventeen feet, the second fourteen, and the third twelve, and a ten foot basement runs the entire length. This will doubtless be the style adopted for the complete block, which, taken with the admirable interior arrangements, will make the Commercial and Hasie blocks the finest in Southern Kansas. The enterprise of the eight gentlemen comprising the Commercial Building Association speaks loudly to their credit, and will be a sure means of profit to themselves, not to mention the advantage accruing to the city in the way of advertising its business vim and prosperity.
Arkansas City Republican, September 20, 1884. Hasie and Commercial Blocks. One structure now in course of erection with which the citizens of Arkansas City point with pride is the Hasie and Commercial block on Summit street. We propose in the following brief outline to give our readers an idea of the immensity of this block.
Last March Maj. M. S. Hasie and Geo. E. Hasie arrived in Arkansas City from Denver, Colorado, on a prospecting tour and, after a careful looking over of the advantages of which our thriving city is possessed, were so fascinated with the prospects that they decided to locate here. The erection of the Hasie block was then alone contemplated. When Messrs. Hasie’s views were made known, concerning their large block, a new idea sprang into existence. It was then the plan of the Hasie and Commercial block was formed. In addition to their block, Messrs. Hasie proposed to take stock in the Commercial and so a stock company was formed for the purpose of erecting this building. Thus we have the origin of the Hasie and Commercial blocks.
The building was commenced some five months ago, and notwithstanding so many drawbacks necessary to the erection of so large a structure, it is now nearly completed. The frontage of the block is 128 feet; the depth, 132 feet.
On the first floor there are five mammoth store rooms, each 25 x 132 feet, and 17 feet to ceiling. These rooms are all taken with the exception of one, which we are informed would offer superior advantages to parties desiring to engage in the agricultural implement business. The basement under this room could be used as storage quarters and the ground floor as the display room. Then the elevator in this room from basement to roof would come into execution.
The remaining rooms are to be occupied by D. Brunswick, who will open up a $25,000 stock of clothing, boots and shoes, etc.; A. A. Newman & Co., who will have a double room in which to display their stock of dry goods, clothing, etc. The fourth will be used by Geo. E. Hasie & Co., as a wholesale and retail grocery establishment, and the fifth will, no doubt, be taken by the time of its completion.
The entire building is finished with French plate glass, double strength; 4,000 feet of glass is to be put in the skylights. There are four upstair rooms, which are as yet not taken, that would be the most available rooms in Kansas for the photographic art. The best of light for this business can be furnished.
In the upper portions of the block, there are 65 rooms. They are so constructed as to be used for hotel purposes. There are three large, bay-front rooms with folding doors, which can be readily thrown into one room, and would make one of the most elegant dining rooms of which we know. A six-foot hallway traverses this portion of the building. Eight hundred feet of passageway is utilized. Two six-foot stairways lead upward, besides the large elevators at the rear of the building. The second and third stories are adorned with bay windows, fourteen in number.
The finish of the front of the block is what is called the San Francisco Palace finish. It is a stone front with iron columns and bay windows.
The estimated cost of the building when completed will be $60,000. Maj. S. Hasie is the architect. He has personally superintended its construction. Another building of the Hasie and Commercial block’s dimensions will make Arkansas City a city in reality as well as name. We now far surpass Wichita in fine buildings, and for handsome residence property we doubt if there is another city in the state that can compete with us, taking size in consideration.
It became the Ormiston block and was rebuilt. Several of the best stores in the city occupied the ground floor. That building is now the Graves Drug store with American Legion Post 18 in the basement.
The Hess building, 113 West Fifth Avenue, where the late Frank J. Hess had a real estate and insurance office, was known as the Traders Investment block. It had a barber shop in the basement. The building has been razed and is now a part of the city parking lot in the 100 block of West Fifth Avenue.
Highland Hall was located where the Burford Building is currently.
The Hill block, at 300 South Summit, was erected in 1889 and bore the name "Hill" on the front. It became the People's Store building, being owned by that firm. It is built of early day quarried stone and was three stories. The White-Hill implement company at one time occupied the building and later the Newman Dry Goods company was there.
Isabelle block is now a part of the Burford Theater.
The K. P. block at Summit and Washington, occupied by the Brown and Miller furniture store was later known as the Whittle building. For many years the Globe store, one of the first ladies Ready-to-wear store city was located there.
The Kroenert Block at the southwest corner of Summit and Madison was originally built to house a cracker and candy factory. It changed hands and became the Oklahoma and Kansas Wholesale Grocery Company. It then became the Acton Manufacturing Co. in 1940 and then was razed and became a filling station which is now occupied by Kerr-McGee.
Layne block. See Bittle Block.
The McCowan block, next door south of the Colorado block, was build by Col. S.M. McCowan who was at one time Superintendent of the Chilocco Indian school. It became the property of the Bardo brothers, W. C. and J. H. It was known as the Bardo block and was occupied by the E. Kirkpatrick furniture store at the time of the 1905 fire. It was rebuilt and now houses the north half of "Jan's Sport Shack."
The Matlack block (201 South Summit) is the building on the southwest corner of Summit Street and Fifth Avenue. Stacy Matlack built this building in 1880 for his dry goods and clothing store. In 1887 he built a second building at the rear of the first one. It still bears the name Matlack and the date “1887" upon it. Later C. C. Sollitt and Charles M. Swarts purchased the building and operated their drug store there, and employed Harry Long. Harry later bought the store and operated Long’s Drug Store. When Harry retired, he sold to Bob Johnson. Upon Bob's death the store was sold to Albert Clemente and upon Albert's retirement, the store was sold to Ray Taylor.
Arkansas City Traveler, Thursday, November 17, 1921.
OPENING OF NEW BUILDING.
Trimper Block Presented Very Fine Appearance Last Night.
Large crowds were in attendance at the formal opening of the new Trimper building, located at the corner of A Street and Washington Avenue, last night.
The business firms located in this building at this time are the News Publishing Co.; Miss Ruby Francis, millinery; Drs. McKay, Day, and Douglass; Mallerson's [Hallerson’s] Candy Shop, and the McCool flower shop. These firms united in the effort to put on an evening of entertainment for the people who desired to call at the new building last night. There were souvenirs given to each person who attended and the crowds kept coming until a late hour. There were flowers in abundance all over the building and there was music by the A. C. Symphony orchestra in the News office all during the evening.
The opening was a decided success and the crowds were well entertained during the evening hours. From the Trimper building many of the visitors at this time went to the Collinson Auto company sales room, just north of there, and called there for the grand opening, a story of which appears elsewhere in this issue of the Traveler.
The Salisbury block, later the Conrad block, located just north of the Union State bank became the Strand theater. C. E. Salisbury, in the early days of the city, erected the building and ran his retail shoe store there.
Sherburne and Pickle block, erected in 1885, located in the 100 block South Summit, later became the Derry Bakery block.
The Summit block with the date 1886 on its front, is in the 300 block South Summit street. Miss Ethel Duvall purchased the building and the Duvall Pharmacy occupied the north room (215 South Summit) and the Davis Clothing company, the south room. In 1900 the south room was occupied by the Ed Gleason saloon.
The Syndicate block, located on the northwest corner of Summit and Jefferson, was erected in 1885. It was the location of the Shanks Grocery store. The building was condemned by the city and demolished.
Arkansas City Traveler, Wednesday, November 9, 1921.
NEW FLOWER SHOP.
Mrs. Anna McCool Opens an Uptown Store Here Today.
Mrs. Anna McCool held a formal opening of her flower shop this afternoon. She has her flower shop in the Trimper building with the entrance on Washington Avenue, and has for a number of years had a greenhouse, located at 405 South Third Street. This afternoon from three o'clock until seven she gave to each person visiting her shop a beautiful chrysanthemum.
Mrs. McCool has one of the nicest shops in the state at present and under her able management the new store here is bound to be a success. Large crowds, mostly ladies, called at the flower shop this afternoon. The formal opening will last until seven o'clock this evening.
The old Walnut block, 200 block, West Fifth Avenue, three-story store structure, is now the west part of the Oldroyd building, which is occupied by Foster's Furniture.
The Zadie Block Sign is above the current Litwin Store.
Johnson Loan and Trust Company Block.
Arkansas City Republican, August 15, 1885.
The Johnson Loan and Trust Company have purchased one of the four lots belonging to Albert Worthley just west of the First National Bank, and will erect a two story brick front business house. A portion of the building will be occupied by the Johnson Loan and Trust Company with their office. The building which will be erected by the company will be equal to any in the city. The consideration was $1,000 and the sale was made with the understanding that the association would put up a first-class building.
New Business Blocks: 1885.
Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, August 29, 1885.
Our New Business Blocks.
From time to time the REPUBLICAN has made mention of the various handsome business blocks as they commenced erection, but we have never gone into details.
We begin with the elegant stone block of C. D. Burroughs, lately of Chicago, on South Summit street. The block is composed of two good business rooms, each 25 x 75 feet. The second story is made up of office rooms, there being 17 of them. The block is built of stone. The front is made out of stone taken from Parkin’s quarry north of town. When first taken from the quarry, the stone is soft and easily sawed into shape and dressed. As the stone stands in the weather, it hardens and the longer it remains there, the harder it becomes. The stone is a species of the sandstone, and we doubt if there is any better stone for store fronts in the state than can be obtained at Parkins’ quarry. Mitts & Jones are the architects and builders of the block, and when completed they will have a representation of their skill as mechanics of which they have no need to be ashamed. G. W. Miller & Co., furnishes the galvanized iron cornice for this block. They manufacture it themselves. The materials in the entire building are home products.
The next handsome business room, which is almost ready for occupancy, on South Summit street, is that of Frick Bros. The building is 25 x 80 feet, and built entirely of brick. It is two stories high with a commodious basement. Wm. Gall is the architect and contractor. The building has been appelled the Cresswell block. Messrs. Frick Bros. are young and energetic businessmen who came here from Pennsylvania about 12 months ago. They thought Arkansas City was a desirable locality in which to locate. They have faith in the future of our city and have shown it by the willingness to invest a portion of their capital in real estate. Messrs. Frick Bros. are also the proprietors of the Arkansas City Coal Co., and are doing a good business. This new room will be occupied by S. F. Steinberger.
Hermann Godehard has his business room nearly completed. It is 25 x 100 feet; two stories high; and is built of stone with a handsome brick front. Wm. Gall is also the architect and contractor of this block. Mr. Godehard will, in a few days, occupy his new room with his grocery and bakery. By Mr. Godehard erecting his substantial block, he has caused to be taken away an old fire trap of a building which was located between the room he now occupies and the Occidental Hotel. Mr. Godehard’s improvement is a credit to Arkansas City.
O. P. Houghton has just completed his addition of 26 x 50 feet to his business room. This makes his store room extend to the alley, a distance of 132 feet. Mr. Houghton uses his addition for his display of carpets and ready made clothing.
G. W. Miller & Co., moved into their new quarters Tuesday. Their business room is about completed, except some of the finishing touches. The block is two stories and is 25 x 75 feet; is built of stone with a handsome brick frontage. The brick was furnished by James P. Smith, the man shot by Henry Mowry, from his kiln at Harmon’s Ford, and clearly demonstrates that good brick can be manufactured as cheaply in this vicinity as elsewhere. The cornice was manufactured in the tin shop of Miller & Co., and does them credit as mechanics. It is a beautiful cornice and sets the building off in grand style.
Dr. A. J. Chapel and D. W. Bishop are having erected their business block. It is composed of two storerooms below, each 25 x 80 feet, and office rooms above. The block is built of stone with brick fronts. J. Q. Ashton is the contractor for the stone work. Dr. Chapel’s room has been leased by Jerome Steele for an eastern gentleman, who desires to locate in Arkansas City and engage in the mercantile business. Chas. Bundrem has leased Mr. Bishop’s room and will occupy it with his meat market. This block has been receiving the plastering this week and will be ready for occupancy in a few days. J. H. Trask is the architect of the building and did the wood work of the block.
T. H. McLaughlin is the gentleman who has the business block in course of erection on North Summit street. The block is two stories and contains two commodious business rooms, each 25 x 80 feet. It is built of stone with a brick front. Workmen are now busily engaged in putting up the second story. Mr. McLaughlin is one of the pioneers of Arkansas City, and has erected several substantial blocks. Dawson and Hight are the builders and architects.
In the above we briefly describe all the business blocks now in course of erection and nearly completed. They are all good and substantial buildings of which any city might be proud.
Kroenert & Austin will soon commence the building of their business room; and J. C. Topliff will put up a block just south of the Hasie Block.
The Johnson Loan and Trust Co., Maj. Sleeth, and H. P. Farrar will put up two business blocks next spring.
Other parties are talking of building, but have done nothing definitely towards it. Arkansas City booms away ahead of any other town in the state. What other town is there that can give such a grand showing?
Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, October 3, 1885.
Arkansas City’s Building Boom.
Eight New Stone Buildings Commenced in the Last Ten Days.
But four weeks ago the REPUBLICAN gave a resume of the business houses then in course of construction. There were 11 of them. This week we chronicle the fact that eight more have been commenced within the last 10 days. Since March 1, 1885, about 20 business houses have been commenced and all are completed and occupied (except the eight which have been started in the last few days and the block of T. H. McLaughlin), which are not yet completed. On the lots where we had our recent fire, the building is more active. At present there are six cellars being excavated for as many buildings.
S. B. Pickle was the first to start the boom on the “burnt district.” He is a little ahead of the others with his work.” His cellar is excavated and the masons have commenced work. Mr. Pickle’s plans show that he will erect a stone business room, brick front, two-stories high, and 25 x 100 feet. The building is to be completed by December 1, 1885, and will be occupied by D. L. Means with his implement stock.
The next lot owner to commence operations was Dr. J. T. Sheppard. By the first of next week, the stone-masons will be at work at this building. This business house will be 25 x 100 feet, two stories high, stone walls with brick front.
Kroenert & Austin, the Diamond Front gentlemen, were the next to engage in the excavation. Their building will be similar to that of Dr. Sheppard. It will be 25 x 100 feet, stone walls with brick front and two stories high.
Mrs. Wm. Benedict has had work commenced on her lot. She will erect a very handsome building. It will be 25 x 100 feet, two stories high, with an elegant stone front.
Tuesday, Jas. Benedict sold his lot in the burnt district to Jos. Bittle for $3,500. Mr. Bittle will erect a building similar to those mentioned above. The dimensions are the same.
With the exception of the lot belonging to Jos. H. Sherburne, good substantial business blocks are succeeding the old frames destroyed by fire a short time ago. But we are informed that in a few days Mr. Sherburne will fall into line and also commence the erection of a business house. This will make the old part of Arkansas City new. For almost three blocks on each side of Summit street, it is lined with handsome and elegant two- and three-story stone and brick business blocks. Another notable fact is that each business room is occupied. We have no empty storerooms.
LATER. Just as we go to press, we learn that Mr. Sherburne contracted for his building.
In addition to the business houses going up on the “burnt district,” J. C. Topliff is receiving bids for the erection of a stone business block, 50 x 100 feet, and two stories high. In the block there will be two business rooms, each 25 x 100 feet; the second floor will be used for office rooms. The block will be put up on lots just south of the magnificent and imposing Commercial and Hasie blocks.
Wichita claims to be the only rival city of Kansas City in Kansas. The REPUBLICAN claims that Arkansas City is the only city that is a rival to Wichita in Kansas. Situated on the border to the great Indian Territory and the gateway to the Oklahoma country, Arkansas City is bound to lead the procession in growth. Several railroad corporations have realized this fact and are making toward us with their lines. The Kansas City & Southwestern will soon have trains running into our live city. The Missouri Pacific will build a line east from Independence in Montgomery County to the west line of our state. The A. T. & S. F. have already been granted a charter for the construction of a road from the above named city along the state line to its western boundary. Another line of railway that we will get will be the Ft. Smith & Wellington. This corporation will give us a southern outlet of which our city is desirous of obtaining. The road will run from Ft. Smith, Arkansas, northwest, passing through Arkansas City, Wellington, Wichita, and thence into the state of Colorado. The above is no wind-work, but gospel truth. Our advantages are superior to those of Wichita. Although Wichita is probably three times as large as Arkansas City at present, we have in the last 18 months had erected as many business blocks as the “Old Square City.”
Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, October 31, 1885.
ALMOST ONE MILLION
Dollars Worth of Improvements Made to Arkansas City This
The following is a partial list of the improvements made in Arkansas City since March 1, 1885.
Farmers Co-operative Mill, just commenced: $250,000
Mrs. Gilstrap, residence: $1,500
Dr. J. Vawter, residence: $1,500
Mrs. J. Boucher, cottage: $400
John Delzell, cottage: $700
Mrs. W. H. Henderson, addition: $600
J. S. Wetmore, residence: $800
John Brown, barn: $600
Burroughs block: $30,000
W. W. Curtis, residence: $2,500
R. G. Norton, residence: $3,000
G. W. Miller, business room: $12,000
Mont. Anderson, residence: $3,000
J. W. French, residence: $1,800
W. A. Nix, cottage: $600
N. S. Buckner, addition: $400
M. Thomas, cottage: $500
Wm. Thomas, barn: $300
G. B. Shaw & Co., improvements: $900
A. A. Davis, residence: $1,000
John Brown, residence: $1,200
T. J. Donnelly, residence: $600
J. W. Mansfield, cottage: $700
Frank Austin, residence: $2,000
O. P. Houghton, add store room: $6,000
Mrs. A. Williams, residence: $1,000
I. Eads, cottage: $300
G. W. Miller, cottage: $500
J. B. Crew, barn: $350
A. Leonard, residence: $1,000
E. Stewart, cottage: $500
J. W. Mansfield, addition: $250
Robt. Hutchison, addition: $250
Jos. Hoskin, residence: $800
Mr. Thomas, addition: $200
D. G. Lewis, residence: $1,000
H. Ford, residence: $1,000
D. J. Buckley, residence: $1,750
Lafe McLaughlin, improvements: $800
Newell Pond, cottage: $500
G. W. Childers, addition: $1,000
McLaughlin Block: $25,000
John H. Starr, cottage: $400
Bishop & Chapel block: $25,000
F. J. Hess, residence: $2,500
Newman, Hess & Co. Cottage: $600
Frank Robinson, residence: $1,000
Kendall Smith, residence: $1,500
S. Hoyt, gymnasium: $4,000
T. J. Mitts, cottage: $500
Geo. Howard, residence: $3,000
H. G. Bailey, livery stable: $2,500
J. C. Topliff & Co., business block: $40,000
Rev. Ira Putney, cottage: $500
H. L. Booth, cottage: $500
Mr. Shultzheiser, cottage: $300
D. Weir, addition: $100
J. H. Creger, cottage: $500
Wes Ferguson, residence: $1,500
F. L. Walker, residence: $2,500
G. W. Herbert, cottage: $700
Mr. James, cottage: $500
L. S. Ball, cottage: $500
R. Fitzpatrick, residence: $1,000
D. Fullerlove, cottage: $300
J. C. West, cottage: $300
H. S. Ford, residence: $1,300
S. B. Scott, cottage: $700
Ed. Hutchison, residence: $1,300
J. Knowleton, addition: $400
S. B. Scott, cottage: $600
D. Pickard, addition: $650
Ed. Grady, residence: $1,200
Ed. Grady, store room: $12,000
J. M. Shelton, residence: $800
Frank Houghton, cottage: $300
J. M. Shelton, residence: $1,000
Hermann Godehard, bakery and store room: $15,000
Wm. Thompson, cottage: $600
J. M. McGill, addition: $200
T. R. Houghton, addition: $300
Al. Daniels, addition: $200
Chester Hill, residence: $1,000
John Landes, residence: $3,000
Frank Beall, residence: $2,500
Ed. Malone, cottage: $700
R. Fitzpatrick, cottage: $650
Rev. J. O. Campbell, parsonage: $3,000
J. W. Patterson, livery stable: $1,000
G. W. Glotfelter, residence: $1,000
Mr. Gordon, cottage: $450
Tom Seymoure, cottage: $500
W. C. Edwards, cottage: $350
Hugh Ford, residence: $1,000
J. L. Howard, cottage: $700
Dr. Westfall, cottage: $750
Dr. Vawter, cottage: $1,250
Mrs. Hand, addition: $600
J. L. Howard, cottage: $750
W. H. Henderson, cottage: $750
G. W. White, addition: $350
Will Mowry, addition: $250
A. V. Alexander, residence: $3,500
Maj. Woodin, addition: $350
J. S. Pickering, residence: $1,000
J. P. Witt, residence: $1,000
Mr. Jones, cottage: $600
A. Means, residence: $1,000
Henry Nelson, addition: $450
Asa Burr, cottage: $400
A. P. Smith, cottage: $600
Jacob Moyer, cottage: $450
Jos. Bittle, residence: $2,000
M. L. Crocker, cottage: $700
S. C. Smith, cottage: $450
J. L. Howard, cottage: $500
J. W. Weir, cottage: $700
Dr. Vawter, barn: $200
Arkansas City Bank, addition: $3,000
G. W. McMullen, residence: $1,200
Huey & Rogers, flouring mill, fixtures, etc.: $30,000
V. M. Ayres, residence: $2,000
O. Ingersoll, residence: $3,000
J. H. Punshon, residence: $1,000
Asa Burr, cottage: $450
Cresswell block: $22,000
T. J. Raymond, residence: $1,000
Henry Hultz, residence: $900
Wm. Cox, residence: $1,500
J. W. French, residence: $1,000
Isaiah Pile, cottage: $500
J. W. Hawkins, addition: $250
Hugh Ford, cottage: $750
W. M. Sawyer, business room: $2,000
Dave Carter, residence: $1,700
L. D. Davis, residence: $1,000
Wm. Rose, residence: $1,200
J. C. Ware, residence: $1,500
C. R. Sipes, addition: $250
Mr. Adams, addition: $300
Irving French, cottage: $800
Lyman Fairclo, addition: $400
S. B. Scott, cottage: $500
W. M. Rhodes, grain house: $500
Houghton block: $22,000
Union block, in construction: $24,000
Jos. Bittle, business room: $12,000
Kroenert & Austin, business room: $12,000
Jos. Sherburne, business room: $12,000
S. B. Pickle, business room: $12,000
Santa Fe Depot, addition: $1,000
Johnson Loan & Trust Company block, under contract: $34,000
Addition to National Bank, under contract: $45,000
Allen Ayres, residence: $2,000
The above is a list of building going up and improvements made in Arkansas City since March 1, 1885, to the present date. This resume does not include the thousand dollars worth of painting, repairs, etc. There is not another city in Kansas that can show a record that will equal the above. Capitalists seeking for a place of investment would do well to come and investigate the many resources offered at Arkansas City. It will pay them.
Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, November 7, 1885.
In mentioning the improvements last week made in Arkansas City, we neglected to publish the $2,000 improvement made by Danks Bros., at their foundry and machine shop. Also, Central block, valued at $20,000.