Rarely does one get a glimpse into the humor that prevailed in the early days of turning a prairie town into a city. The following article about a trip that started on June 9, 1881, into Indian Territory reveals much about the early leaders of Winfield.
Winfield Courier, June 16, 1881.
The party consisting of F. S. Jennings, Ed. P. Greer, L. H. Webb, James Kelly, Will Stivers, T. H. Soward, Sol Burkhalter, Will Whitney, and W. H. Albro went last week to the Territory for fun, fish, and foolishness. All returned Tuesday evening except Ed., who returned the night before. They report lots of fun, fish, and squirrels. Grizzly's and other large game were neglected. Most of them returned with their hair on.
Winfield Courier, June 23, 1881, and June 30, 1881.
ED. COURIER: It is now customary, I believe, when a party makes a trip anywhere, especially to the Indian Territory, for someone of the number to furnish an account of the same to the newspapers. As one of a squad of nine, who recently made a pilgrimage to the land of the Kaw, I will try to inform your readers of some of the matters and things connected therewith.
The party consisted of F. S. Jennings, Judge Tom Soward, W. R. Stivers, W. H. Albro, Will Whitney, L. H. Webb, E. P. Greer, James Kelly, and last but by no means least, Sol Burkhalter. The latter gentleman furnished the rigs and was of course wagon-master.
Grouse Creek was reached by noon of the first day, said day being, curiously enough, Thursday, June 9th, 1881, which should have been mentioned sooner.
Here a halt was called for dinner, and here also the verdancy of the party began to crop out. The temporary camp was made in a dense jungle on the lee side of a hill with a perpendicular front some twenty or thirty feet high. Underbrush, weeds, nettles, vines: pooh [?], but wasn't it hot! Not a breath of air stirred a leaf in that miserable forest. Yes, it was hot, and some of us thought that spot would compare favorably with a modified hades according to the new version. But we had the shade.
While some of us built a fire and got dinner, Mr. Jennings, Judge Soward, and Will Stivers went in quest of game. Soon word was sent to send another gun and more ammunition, which request being speedily complied with, such a roar of musketing opened out as I'll wager, the waters of the Grouse had not heard for many a day. Presently the mighty nimrods returned.
"Where's your game?" chorused we of the bread and butter stay-at-home brigade.
"It crumbled in a hole," mourned the Judge, "but I think it's certainly wounded."
"By the bones of my grandfather," howled Webb (he never swears), "if those three big stout men with two double barreled shotguns and a rifle, haven't been banging away at a poor little squirrel."
After dinner the company was formally organized by electing Jim Kelly to the office of . Brother Greer made the point that this being a civil company, the title should be "president." This however was promptly rejected. "What?" said the Judge "Suppose we have trouble with the redskins, which is more than likely, how would it sound to say our President marched us up the hill and then marched us down again. I move it be Captain." But here the beneficiary declared that he would be no miserable captain and unless he be at once made Colonel, he would resign and leave the company to its fate. This settled it and the train moved out after dinner in the following order.
1. The elegant three-seated barouche containing the colonel, the major, the judge, Dr. Webb, Sergeant Whitney, and wagon-master Burkhalter, followed by the baggage wagon in which on the seat were Captain Albro and Chaplain Greer, with Will Stivers behind to look after things generally. Brother Greer drove the team, that is he drove it to the foot of the first hill, when the team stopped and would not be driven any further. We all got round the wagon, however, and pushed it up the hill notwithstanding the remonstrance of the team.
This Grouse Creek, I verily believe, is enchanted, or at least this company was, for all at once we couldn't agree as to which side of the stream we were on. Of course, it made no difference, only it depended on a proper solution of this confounding mystery whether we were going up or down, towards or away from the Territory. Finally we came to a standstill and waited for two gentlemen who were plowing in a field to come to the end of their rows, which were headed off by the road, or more properly cow-path, we were then on. But our consternation was only increased when on inquiring, we found those gentlemen seemed to be as much at a loss as we were ourselves. One said we were on this side of the Grouse and would have to cross over to arrive at our destination; the other said as he had been in the country but a short time and was, unfortunately, from Missouri, really knew nothing about it. Just here a bright intelligent looking girl with a hoe in her hand, cut the miserable knot, not with the hoe, however. She explained by saying that dame nature had, right there, succeeded in reversing the old order, and made the bed so crooked that for a full half mile the water actually ran up stream. But I think if we could have told these good people where we wanted to go lucidly and plainly, they could have told us how to get there. But we couldn't.
The caravan here parted in the middle, Chaplain Greer believing as he could successively steer the local columns of the COURIER, he certainly ought to be able to steer a two-horse wagon to the mouth of Grouse Creek. So he left us and drove out of sight into the wilderness. We, that is the other rig, took the opposite course. We drove into a pasture fenced with brush; out of that into a cornfield fenced with stone, and traveled down a row of corn about two milesso we thoughtlet down a pair of bars and brought up in a cowpen. We were, however, more fortunate here for we found a man who could and would not only tell us where to go, but could actually tell us where we at that moment ought to be, instead of driving over his corn and garden patch, as we had done. Will Whitney, however, very adroitly mentioned "that those were the finest hogs he had seen in a long time," which somewhat mollified the old man, who then told us how to get out. Thus, you see, kind words never die; and a little taffy, which Mr. Whitney after told us, was cheap, applied to the slab sides and ungainly snouts of the old man's hogs, and got us out of an embarrassing dilemma.
In a short time after bidding good bye to the old man of the good hogs, we arrived at the house of Drury Warren, a gentleman well and favorably known to some of our crowd. Mr. Warren, however, was absent in the territory at the big "round up," he having some six hundred head of cattle on the range on Black Bear Creek.
Having heard Mr. Warren speak favorably of some of us, and representing ourselves as "some of our best citizens of Winfield," we soon got into the good graces of kindly Mrs. Warren: to about half a bushel of onions, and permission to drive through the field, thus cutting off some three miles of long, hilly road. Let me here remark that Mr. Warren has one of the most valuable farms in Cowley County, or I might say, in the state. He has 520 acres in a body. Two-thirds of it lies in the rich bottom at the very mouth of Grouse Creek, which is in corn, and such corn! The like of which is duly seen on the Illinois and Sangamon river bottoms, and there but seldom.
Here we passed out at the south gate of the state and entered the Territory when Messrs. Greer, Albro, and Stivers caught up with us and when your correspondent shot a squirrel, found a nice spring of water, and where we camped for the first night.
Nothing of any importance happened to us except the bites of some huge mosquitos, which happened rather often.
The next morning we tried fishing in the raging Arkansas with but poor success. An old blood-thirsty villain of a fisherman, who I have no doubt now was anxious to get us away from there, told us of a good place where he said we would find bass in abundance, well on toward the Kaw agency. Here trouble commenced. Some wanted to pull up stakes and go at once, some wanted to send a scouting party first to spy out the land and report. But the goers- at-once being in the majority, carried the point, so strike the tent, hitch up, and pull out was the order.
Sometime that afternoon we overtook an Indian afoot, leading a dog. Someone of our party asked him some questions, which he wouldn't answer. Then someone asked him what he intended doing with the dog. He then very politely told us to go to hades, saying, however, the old version pronunciation of that word.
We pitched our tents on the banks of the Arkansas River that night. Another meeting was held at noon to determine whether or not we would move again. The colonel, by virtue of his office, of course, presided. The debate was long, learned, and dignified. Greer, Webb, Stivers, Whitney, and Albro, for the move, ably presented their side of the case.
"You see, gentlemen," said Webb, "that we are on the very verge of starvation. No water, nothing to eat."
"That shows," said Jennings, "that you do not know what you are talking about. Here we are on one of the most delightful spots the sun ever shone upon. Look at that mighty river and tell me that there is no water. Look at the countless turkey tracks, and tell me there is no game, nothing to eat. Why, we are here in the very bowels of plenty, and I, for one, won't move a peg."
The motion was, however, put and carried, so move it was. That same evening the company arrived at the mouth of Otter Creek, where it empties into the Grouse, and once more the tent was pitched. The next morning, it being Sunday, it was agreed that no fishing, hunting, or euchre be indulged in but that this Sabbath be spent quietly and reverently as became our best citizens.
After breakfast some of the boys thought they would have some fun at the expense of the others. Word was accordingly passed along that a meeting would be held to consider the propriety of returning to the camp vacated the day before. The president being in the seat of course, proclaimed and made known that a meeting would be held at once. Every member being present the trouble began.
"Now, may the devil take me," said Chaplain Greer, "if this move don't beat all the moves I ever heard of."
"I opposed coming here in the first place, but now that we are here, I propose to stay," said Jennings.
"Me too," said Judge Soward, "let go who will, I shan't."
"Question! Question!" shouted the mob.
The motion being put, the chair declared it carried unanimously. That was a straw too much.
"Give me my blanket," groaned Greer, "I can hire a farmer to take me home."
"Give me my things," howled Jennings, "I can walk."
"Don't take my gun," yellowed Judge Soward, "I won't budge an inch."
Seeing that the joke had gone far enough, the boys were informed of the "sell" and soon all was again serene. Monday morning, Mr. Greer, having been really in bad health when he started, was found to be much worse. It was accordingly decided to send him home. He was taken by Mr. Burkhalter to Arkansas City, put aboard the train, and we saw him no more.
And, now to conclude, for every good writer must conclude, I have endeavored to chronicle events just as they transpired. If perchance there may be a few little things that didn't happen exactly as I have said, I certainly cannot be held responsible.
ONE OF THE NINE.
Who was the author of this trip to the Territory? After careful reading, it appears that everyone is eliminated except Mr. Burkhalter.
And just who were the nine individuals who represented themselves as "some of our best citizens of Winfield" to Mrs. Drury Warren?
Frank S. Jennings. Jennings, a native of Delaware, Ohio, was ten years old when the Civil War commenced. He was educated at Ohio Wesleyan University and then went through a course of law studies at the Ann Arbor Law school in Michigan. He practiced for a short time in Delaware before coming west to Winfield, Kansas, with a fellow graduate, G. H. Buckman, of Delavan, Illinois. They opened a law office under Read's bank in July 1876.
Frank S. Jennings was elected in November 1880 and re-elected in November 1881 to the position of County Attorney in Cowley County. W. P. Hackney, state senator, placed the name of Frank S. Jennings before the Republican Convention in August 1884 to succeed him as state senator. Jennings was elected State Senator from the 27th District in November 1884. A "temperance" man, Jennings made life miserable for those who opposed Prohibition.
When the June 1881 trip was made, Jennings was County Attorney.
Ed. P. Greer. Edwin Patterson Greer, born in Leavenworth, Kansas, on September 13, 1857, was a son of Samuel W. Greer, who served as a private in the Frontier Guard, protecting President Abraham Lincoln in the East Room of the White House in April 1861.
Ed. P. Greer came with his parents to Cowley County in 1871, where the Greer family settled on a claim southwest of Winfield. In the spring of 1874, E. P. Greer, 17, began working as an apprentice on the Winfield Courier under James Kelly.
Much was made of Ed. P. Greer's election as State Representative in November 1884. Some of the state newspapers claimed Greer was the first native Kansan elected to the State Legislature; others claimed that Col. Alexander S. Johnson, a native of the Territory of Kansas, who was elected a member of the Territorial Legislature in 1885 and then elected as a member of the House of Representatives in 1866, was the first native Kansan elected to our Legislature, making Edwin P. Greer, of Cowley, the second native Kansan elected to the Kansas Legislature. E. P. Greer served only one term.
Mr. Greer was editor and publisher of the Winfield Courier for forty years, building the business from small beginnings into a large daily newspaper and job plant. Mr. Greer retired in October 15, 1924. He was succeeded in the management of the newspaper by Mr. and Mrs. Anderson of the Winfield Free Press.
The death of Mr. Edwin P. Greer was covered in the following item.
Winfield Courier, December 9, 1924. The body of Edwin P. Greer, who died on board the steamer, "City of Los Angeles," on Sunday, December 7, 1924, is being carried to Honolulu, whither the ship was bound. The "City of Los Angeles" will sail from Honolulu on December 20, arriving in Los Angeles December 26. As near as can be figured the date of the arrival of Mr. Greer's body in Winfield will be somewhere near the 29th of December. No additional details of his death are known, but it is supposed that bronchitis from which he long had suffered complicated with heart trouble caused the end to come suddenly. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.
Ed. P. Greer became a partner in the Courier Company on May 1, 1880, when D. A. Millington was editor in chief. In June 1881 when the trip to the Territory was made, Mr. Greer was "Local Editor" of the Winfield Courier.
Lovell H. Webb. L. H. Webb came from a family of judges and lawyers.
In October 1874 Lovell H. Webb, of Fort Scott, a son of W. C. Webb, passed a successful examination and was admitted into the Naval Academy, at Annapolis, as a cadet midshipman. In September and November, 1877, friends in Winfield, Kansas, were told that both Linus C. and Lovell H. Webb, brothers of Winfield attorney, Leland J. Webb, were at Ann Arbor, Michigan, attending the law department of the University located there.
On February 14, 1878, the Winfield Courier had the following item: "Brick Pomeroy in his reminiscences says he learned the printing business in Wellsboro, Pa., in the office of a man named Webb. We are informed that this man Webb was and is Judge W. C. Webb, of Topeka. How Brick could become the red-hot Democrat that he is, after learning the printing business under an old time abolitionist like Judge Webb is a mystery." W. C. Webb was the father of Leland J. Webb. Linus S. Webb, and L. H. Webb, attorneys. Judge Webb had three brothers who were also judges: H. G. Webb, of Oswego, C. M. Webb, and J. H. Webb.
In December 1877 Jay Page, who had been a resident of El Dorado and Topeka, purchased the lot between Wallis & Wallis' grocery house and Boyer's clothing store on Main Street, Winfield, and put up a two-story stone building with brick open front on the east side of Main Street, the fourth building north of Ninth Avenue. The lower story front room, about 25 by 50 feet, was occupied by Page as a billiard saloon, in which were a pool table and a counter and bar at the back end where liquors were sold by the glass. Back of this was another room where card tables were kept. The upper story was divided into several rooms, some of which were supposed to have been occupied for gambling purposes. In April 1878 the front of Jay Page's new saloon was painted black and gold leaf was used to make it the handsomest front in Winfield.
On Saturday, June 1, 1878, at about 4:00 p.m., Jay Page was busily engaged in operating his saloon in the "Page building," when he was shot and killed by Leland J. Webb, a local attorney and member of the House of Representatives of the State of Kansas.
Judge W. C. Webb of Topeka called upon his brother, H. G. Webb of Oswego, and various attorneys: E. S. Torrance, Coldwell & Coldwell, and C. C. Black, of Winfield; James D. Snoddy, of Linn County; and Sluss & Hatton, of Wichita. They became the parties retained by the defense in the trial of Leland J. Webb, held in Wichita, Kansas, beginning on Tuesday, September 10, 1878. The jury returned a verdict of "not guilty" on Thursday, September 19, 1878.
Lovell H. Webb came to Winfield to assist his brother, Leland J. Webb, about one year after attorney L. J. Webb was found "not guilty." Public sentiment in Cowley County was against attorney Webb and he never regained his former standing with the community. In February 1880 L. H. Webb was sharing his brother's practice and acting as Notary Public.
Lovell H. Webb helped form the "Young Men's Republican Club" in Winfield in June 1880. He was part of a committee with Ed. P. Greer to organize township clubs. In August 1880 L. H. Webb received a commission: Commissioner of the United States Circuit Court.
When Leland J. Webb departed for Topeka in December 1880 to start a partnership with his father, Judge W. C. Webb, Lovell H. Webb moved his office from the Bahntge block to rooms over Read's Bank, lately occupied by Jennings and Buckman.
In March 1881 at the Republican City Convention, the rules were suspended and Lovell H. Webb was nominated for city attorney by acclamation. O. M. Seward was elected as city attorney by a majority of 27 votes in April 1881. Young Seward was more than ready for a trip to the Territory some months later.
L. H. Webb, U. S. Commissioner, had some interesting cases. In August 1881 an examination of two brothers from Butler County, L. C. and Frank Woodruff, charged with stealing a steer in the Territory, revealed that the steer was with the cattle of the defendants from the territory to their home in Butler County, the Woodruff's saying they could not drive it back. It was put in the corral with the other cattle, and was never seen again. The Woodruff Brothers were bound over in the sum of five hundred dollars each, to appear at the next term of the United States district court at Fort Smith, Arkansas, in November 1881.
In December 1881 L. H. Webb took a position with the firm of Hackney & McDonald. In November 1882 Webb was appointed and confirmed as City Clerk of Winfield in place of D. C. Beach, who had resigned. L. H. Webb resigned his position as City Clerk in October 1883 on account of the pressure of other business. His old friend, G. H. Buckman, was appointed in his place. Attorney L. H. Webb stayed with the law firm of J. Wade McDonald after the firm of Hackney & McDonald dissolved on May 16, 1882. The long, faithful, and efficient services of Lovell H. Webb were rewarded when Judge J. Wade McDonald made Webb his partner in the legal firm of McDonald & Webb on May 1, 1884. Mr. Webb was married to Miss Florence A. Beeney of Winfield in early June 1884.
In 1886 Lovell H. Webb and Carroll L. ("Cal") Swarts of Arkansas City became County Attorneys for Cowley County. Both men were kept very busy. Webb and Swarts shared the handling of the trials of Alfred B. Elliott, John Marshall, and Henry Mowry, charged with murder, in Cowley County.
James Kelly. Born in Scotland, James Kelly became a resident of Macomb, Illinois, and from there he traveled west, becoming a resident of Richland Township, Cowley County, in 1871 when he was thirty-one years old. He later moved to Winfield. On August 16, 1872, the Winfield Messenger printed an item from the Macomb Journal. "We learn that James Kelly, of Winfield, Kan., is a candidate before one of the Republican Conventions of his state for the office of Clerk of the District Court. Mr. Kelly was once a resident of this county, and we can assure our Kansas Republican friends that they cannot choose a more worthy, capable, or suitable man for any position to which he may aspire. Kansas republicans are no half way republicans, and in `Jim' they would find no half way candidate. Mr. Kelly is a man of the true western type, fought his own battle of life, wrung an education between `working spells' amid poverty, grew up to manhood loving free institutions and hating slavery; was an earnest politician in 1860, before he was a voter, and proved his fealty to principle by shouldering his gun when our nation called to arms, and fighting through three years of terrible war. In this county he has held offices of trust, always with honor; and should the convention nominate him, it will have a candidate worthy a Kansas republican constituency." Kelly was elected and served two terms: from January 1873 to January 1875.
James Kelly became editor and proprietor of the Winfield Courier on Thursday, March 27, 1873, when he bought the paper from R. S. Waddell, who departed from Winfield. In April 1873 Kelly moved the newspaper to the "Old Log Store." The Winfield Courier did the county printing for L. J. Webb, to whom it was awarded. V. B. Beckett handled the locals for Kelly until March 4, 1875. Kelly handled the paper by himself until Wirt W. Walton joined the Winfield Courier as local editor on July 1, 1875.
Kelly, who was a member of Company A, 84 Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was among the Union veterans who called for a meeting of the soldiers of Cowley and adjoining counties to meet at Winfield on October 18, 1873, for the purpose of getting acquainted.
Kelly developed a reputation for speaking his mind. He did so in late September 1874 when Nelson Abbott, publisher of a democratic paper in Atchison, who was running on the "reform" ticket for Secretary of State, appeared in the Winfield courtroom. The wind was badly let out of Nelson when Mr. Kelly, who knew Abbott in Macomb, Illinois, took the floor and told the audience that Abbott published a scandalous, copperhead paper in Macomb during the war, and only saved his press by taking the oath of allegiance. He stated that Abbott's paper counseled resistance to the draft, advised desertion, and so incensed and encouraged the copperheads at home as to cause the murder of W. H. Randolph, the deputy provost marshal. He also accused Abbott of getting up a lottery scheme to dispose of his property in Macomb, and then, after selling a considerable number of tickets, selling the property at a private sale, and skipping out of the country with the ticket money in his pocket. Abbott denied all these charges, but Mr. E. P. Kinne of Arkansas City, who also knew Abbott and his history, verified Mr. Kelly's statement.
On November 11, 1875, James Kelly, whose health at the time was poor, leased the Winfield Courier to E. C. Manning, who became editor and publisher. Wirt W. Walton continued his duties as local editor.
Kelly became the postmaster at Winfield on January 1, 1876. He was replaced by D. A. Millington on February 1, 1879.
James Kelly remained a close friend of E. C. Manning and supervised activities at Manning's Opera House, located on the second story of Manning's brick block on the northwest corner of Main Street and Ninth Avenue in Winfield, when E. C. Manning was attending legislative sessions in Topeka, Kansas.
In January 1879 a German organization in Winfield, Deutcher Underhaltung Verein, made arrangements to hold a phantom ball on Washington's Birthday in Manning's Opera House, announcing that a regular old fashioned sheet and pillow case dance would be held. As the dance approached, the organization placed a notice in the February 20, 1879, issue of the Winfield Courier. "There will not be any special invitations to the Phantom Ball Friday night, but there will be policemen in the room, and none will be admitted who are in any way disorderly or ungentlemanly. Those wishing information concerning suits can apply to Nommsen & Steuven."
James Kelly attended the phantom ball to see that the lights, fire, etc., were all right. Having a key to the back door, he came in that way. The managers of the ball objected to his coming in without a ticket, and ordered him to leave. Kelly refused. Frank Manny, a local brewer, and Ed Nicholson, who served as an extra policeman at that time, dragged Mr. Kelly upstairs from the dressing room, across the stage, and pushed him down the front steps.
On Saturday morning, February 22, 1879, Mr. Kelly borrowed the delivery wagon of Baird Bros., and asking Charles Payson to "take a ride with him," proceeded to the brewery northeast of town, where he found Frank Manny at work on his new stone building.
The first newspaper to cover the shooting was the Arkansas City Traveler, which made the following comments on February 26, 1879: "James Kelly, ex-Post Master at Winfield, was shot on Saturday last by Manny, of that town. Kelly is said to have received two loads of bird shot in his side, and his condition is very serious. We have heard two or three different reports of the affair, and all point to whiskey as playing a full hand at the game." A second newspaper, the Semi-Weekly, published in Winfield, attacked Mr. James Kelly. The Winfield Courier immediately came to Kelly's defense, stating that "the attack of the Semi-Weekly of the 22nd on Mr. James Kelly was scarcely less cowardly and brutal than the attack with the shot gun. It was wholly unprovoked and gratuitous."
The Winfield Courier had an account of the shooting in its February 27, 1879, issue, in which it stated the following: "On coming in sight of Manny, Kelly said, `"There's the man I want to see,' and handing the lines to Payson, jumped out of the wagon, upon which Manny started on a run for his house. Kelly called out to him to stop; that he wanted to see him. Manny ran on to the house, which is near the brewery building, and procured a shotgun, which he loaded, and returning to the scene of action, met Kelly coming from the ice house, northwest of the stone building, and commanded Kelly to leave his premises or he would shoot him. Kelly told him to lay down his gun, as they could settle their matter in a minute without it, at the same time advancing toward him. They were about forty feet apart when Manny appeared with his gun. Manny, in an excited manner, kept ordering Kelly off, threatening to shoot while Kelly kept advancing toward him, saying repeatedly that he (Manny) would not shoot anybody. This was continued until Manny pushed him (Kelly) off with the muzzle of the gun, again telling him to leave the place or he would shoot him. Kelly opened his coat and told him he `didn't think he would shoot anybody.' Manny then stepped back about thirty feet, at the same time remarking that he `would see whether he would shoot or not,' and fired one barrel, which took effect in Kelly's arm and thigh, and turned him partly around. Manny then fired the other barrel, hitting Kelly in the right leg, and then drew a pistol and walked up to Kelly, telling him that if he did not get off his premises, he would bore a hole through him. Kelly then got into the wagon and was brought to town. He was placed under the care of Dr. Graham, who pronounced him not dangerously hurt. Manny was arrested, and waiving examination, was held to bail in $2,000 to answer the charge of shooting with intent to kill, at the next term of the district court. We wish to state in connection with this that Charles Payson knew nothing of the affair of the previous evening, when asked by Kelly to go with him, and had no suspicions of anything wrong until they arrived at the brewery."
James Kelly brought an action in the Cowley County District Court in March 1879 for civil damages against Frank Manny, arising from the assault with Manny's shot gun. Time after time this matter was brought before the District Court. In August 1879 Frank Manny made application for a change of venue. The Court ruled in favor of the application for a change in venue in May 1881. This case dragged on for years and was never settled.
In April 1880 James Kelly became census enumerator for the Second Ward in Winfield. He won a city election for the position of Justice of the Peace, taking possession of the records and establishing an office in the Page building that month. He moved his office to the Morehouse building in July 1880. Kelly was installed as an officer of the Good Templars in Winfield in August 1880. In November 1880 he moved his office to rooms formerly occupied by Jennings & Buckman. In December 1880 Kelly became an officer in Adelphi Lodge No. 110, A. F. & A. M.
In May 1881 H. L. Wells, M. D., relieved James Kelly of a fifty-foot tape worm. James Kelly was in need of a vacation when he took the trip to Indian Territory in June 1881.
In late May 1881 Frank Manny was arrested and brought before Justice Kelly, charged with selling beer in violation of the prohibition amendment. The defense had an array of legal talent (Judge W. P. Campbell, with eight years' experience on the bench; J. E. Allen, one of the most precise and painstaking lawyers at the bar; O. M. Seward, the leading temperance attorney of the southwest; and Messrs. Soward & Asp, gentlemen of high standing at the bar). The defense secured a change of venue to Justice Tansey's court.
County Attorney Frank S. Jennings appeared for the State.
The court instructed the jury that the question in this case was whether the sale made to Dan Miller about May 20, 1881, was a sale of liquor that would produce intoxication. The burden was upon the prosecution to establish that the liquor was intoxicating liquor and this must be done by the evidence to the satisfaction of the jury beyond a reasonable doubt. The burden was upon the state to show that the liquor sold to Miller was an intoxicating liquor and that it was not sold for mechanical, medicinal, or scientific purposes, that the sale was made at the place described in the complaint. The defendant is presumed innocent until he is proven guilty, and the state is required to make out each particular and material point in the case to the satisfaction of the jury beyond a reasonable doubt; and if, upon the whole of the evidence, both direct and circumstantial, there is a reasonable doubt of guilt, the jury should acquit.
The first witness, Mr. Dan Miller, testified that he resided in Winfield, and that he knew where Mr. Manny's brewery was. He was asked if he had been in Mr. Manny's brewery between the first day of May and the 21st day of June, the latter being the date the indictment was made. The defense objected on the ground that the state should confine its proof of offense to the date mentioned in the indictment: the 12th day of June. On this objection Mr. Allen spoke, and cited authorities, though none of our Supreme court. The State replied with Kansas authorities bearing directly upon the point. Mr. Asp closed the argument on this point, and the court overruled the objection.
The witness was allowed to answer the question; but instead of doing so, he laughed. The mouths of the audience cracked asunder, and his Honor got down under the counter to hold his sides. Witness then affirmatively answered the question. He also stated that he had drank something on Manny's premises between those dates. The State asked in what building the drink was obtained. Before this question was answered, Judge Campbell requested his honor to instruct the witness that he was at liberty to refuse to answer any question that would tend to criminate himself. This request raised argument and the court adjourned for the day.
On the following day Mr. Miller was asked what he had drank at Manny's. He stated that he had called for "ginger" and that he probably got what he called for. That it was about the color of barnyard drainage, that he had bought a quart, and had paid twenty cents for it, that he had never become intoxicated on it, and had never drank more than two glasses at a time. He was then asked when he had heard that "ginger" was being sold there. The defense objected, but the objection was overruled. The witness then said that it was about the middle of May. He stated that he had never seen anyone become intoxicated on this drink. That he lived several hundred feet from the brewery; that it had about the same effect as lemonade.
Mr. Jochems was then called. He had been at Manny's brewery twice since the first of May. The defense then objected on the ground that the prosecution should confine itself to the sale already proven and the point was ably argued by Mr. Asp. Mr. Troup assisting the state, spoke for ten minutes, and Mr. Asp closed the argument. The objection was sustained and the court held the prosecution to the sale proven to Miller and allowed to introduce testimony to prove the drink known as "ginger" was intoxicating, providing no date or other sale than the one made to Miller was fixed by date. Mr. Jochems then testified that he had drank "ginger" and that it produced no effect on him.
The state here rested its case. The defense also rested without introducing a witness.
The jury remained out all night and till late the next day. The ballot stood seven for conviction and five for acquittal when, having failed to agree, they were discharged by the court.
James Kelly's wife died in October 1881, leaving him with two motherless children. At the time of her death, Kelly was still Justice of the Peace and a U. S. Pension Attorney. He maintained an office over Read's bank. In December 1881 he resigned his position as Justice of the Peace and a commission was issued by Governor St. John to George W. Buckman to fill the vacancy caused by Kelly's resignation.
On February 8, 1882, Kelly took the Santa Fe train to Newton. From there he traveled to Trinidad, Colorado, and Las Vegas, New Mexico, before going south to Socorro, New Mexico. Mr. Kelly was very fortunate, running into an old Cowley County friend, Dr. H. C. Holland, who saved Kelly's life when he was stricken with erysipelas on his face and head and then came down with typhus fever, leaving the next two weeks "blank" as he lay in the house of Dr. Holland. He finally managed to board a train on March 11, 1882, and returned to Winfield where he was cared for by Dr. Emerson. It took two more weeks before Kelly regained his health.
In March 1883 James Kelly and C. C. Newlin started a newspaper at Mulvane, Kansas: the Mulvane Record. On August 30, 1883, Kelly purchased the Kingman Republican. In February 1884 he was editing the Pratt County Press, a paper full of legal advertising matter.
The May 1, 1884, issue of the Pratt County Press revealed that Charlie Eagan, long a resident of Cowley County, had located in Pratt Center to practice law. A plea went out by the paper that five hundred teams were needed to haul lumber from Hutchinson to Pratt Center at forty-five cents per hundred.
In June 1885 James Kelly journeyed from Pratt Center to Richland township in order to spend a few days with his children, in the care of Mrs. S. W. Phenix. It was noted that Mr. Kelly looked exceedingly well and hearty even though his hair was growing gray rapidly.
Will R. Stivers. Will Stivers was born in Fredonia, Kansas, in 1856. He was a son of Judge Stivers and a brother of Mrs. M. G. Troup, who settled in Winfield with her husband. M. G. Troup, who served as Cowley County Clerk from November 4, 1872 to January 10, 1876. When he was twenty years of age, Will stayed at the Troup home and earned $100 for handling a tax sale index for the Cowley County Commissioners. He became involved with the Philomatic Society started in Winfield. In December 1877 he was appointed a notary public for Cowley County by the Governor. He continued working for his brother-in-law as an assistant in 1878 while performing in plays given in Winfield. In January 1879 he became secretary of the recently organized Winfield Amateur Dramatic Association. In January 1880 after being Deputy County Clerk for over six years, Will R. Stivers accepted a position in State Supt. A. B. Lemmon's office at Topeka. He soon became a member of the Young Men's Republican Club orators in Topeka.
In March 1881 Stivers was part of a group from Winfield that left for New Mexico on a prospecting tour: Lafe Pence, Lee Beckett, and Vinnie Beckett, of Norton.
In June 1881 he was a member of the group that went to the Territory.
On returning to Winfield Will Stivers worked on the local page of the Telegram in July 1881 while D. L. Kretsinger was involved in business matters in Kansas City. He then took off for Chicago, Illinois, to see the sights by gas light. Stivers became a resident of Newton, Kansas in December 1881, in the money loaning business.
Winfield friends became aware in August 1882 that Will R. Stivers and Chas. E. Hill had started a newspaper: the Del Norte (California) Cactus.
By December 1884 Will Stivers was once again living in Fredonia with his parents. He finally settled down to married life when he led to the altar of matrimony in October 1885 Miss Edith M. Condat, of Fredonia.
T. H. Soward. In June 1880 T. H. Soward, a native of Kentucky and a Civil War veteran, arrived in Winfield. He was commonly called "Judge" Soward, indicating that he had served as a judge before coming to Cowley County. He rented rooms on the second floor of the building owned by W. L. Morehouse, located on the northwest corner of Main Street and Tenth Avenue. In November 1880 Henry E. Asp formed a law partnership with T. H. Soward. In February Soward became an officer of Winfield Lodge No. 20, I. O. G. T. In March 1881 Soward & Asp "cleaned house" in their quarters in the Morehouse building; Judge Soward was chosen to be part of the second ward committee; and Soward and his partner, H. E. Asp, were elected as members of the twelve delegates to the city convention.
On Saturday, June 4, 1881, many Republicansnot satisfied with the nominations for city officers, joined with Democrats in Winfield to nominate a citizens' ticket. They met at the opera house and put in their own slate for nomination. Two days later supporters of both tickets held meetings, and speakers harangued the people. The Citizens' ticket held their meeting in the street, using the stone steps of the Winfield Bank for a rostrum. C. M. Wood, chairman, gave a stirring address followed by strong and pungent speeches from H. E. Asp, M. G. Troup, W. P. Hackney, and T. H. Soward. The scathing that Major Lynn and Marshal Stevens got at their hands was terrible and cruel to the victims. Their administration was shown up in no enviable light, and the speakers demanded a change.
Five days later Soward joined with the group who made the trip to Indian Territory.
Judge Soward opened the argument at the Manny trial in June 1881, citing numerous authorities, among which were the celebrated Burr and Morgan cases.
Judge Soward participated in the organization of the "Old Soldiers" in Cowley County at a meeting held in Winfield in July 1881 during which he presented a resolution expressing to President Garfield through Hon. R. L. Lincoln, Secretary of War, "our sorrow as soldiers of the late war for his injuries at the hands of the assassin, and expressing the hope that he may live long to serve his country and people, and to cheer his brave wife is our sincere wish," with a request to the Secretary to forward. Soward's resolution was unanimously adopted.
T. H. Soward joined with a "sportsmen's" group in Winfield in November 1881 and participated in many of their events as the years went by.
Henry E. Asp and T. H. Soward severed their law partnership in January 1882 when Asp moved his office into the Hackney & McDonald building on Ninth Avenue.
In March 1882 Soward became a candidate for Justice of the Peace. The Winfield Courier backed him. "Being a well read lawyer, he is peculiarly well qualified, and as his lameness unfits him for business requiring physical activity, it would be just and considerate to elect him and give him a chance." T. H. Soward and G. H. Buckman were elected as Justices of the Peace in April 1882. Soward remained in his old office over the Post Office.
On Thursday, May 18, 1882, Judge Tom H. Soward and Miss Libbie E. Smith were married at the Baptist Church in Winfield, Rev. J. Cairns, officiating. The ceremonies were witnessed by a large number of friends.
On June 8, 1882, the Cowley County Courant printed the following item. "A few evenings ago a number of old soldiers met at Judge Soward's office for the purpose of organizing a post of the Grand Army of the Republic. After they were about all in the room, someone proposed that they all arise and repeat the Lord's Prayer in concert. Each looked at the other to begin the prayer. Finally Judge Soward, seeing that nobody else would commence, started in as follows: `The Star Spangled banner in triumph ...' when Mayor Troup hunched him and told him he was wrong. The Judge was a little mad, and told him to go ahead himself, if he thought he knew it all, and the Mayor started in `Now I lay me down to sleep.' Senator Hackney, who was present, stopped Troup, and told him that was not it, when Troup told Hackney to speak. The Senator cleared his throat and commenced, `Rock of Ages cleft for me,' when Dr. Wells pulled his coat and made him stop. Hackney quit, and told the doctor to work it up, and Wells began, `There's a land that is fairer than this,' but they all told him to cheese it, and he quit, blushing like a school girl. Just at this point Charley Steuven became disgusted, said he was ashamed of the whole gang, and they told him to try to start it. Charles rolled his eyes up and started, `The Lord into the garden came.' At this juncture General Green came in and asked what they were drilling on. He was informed of the condition of things, and relieved the suspense by starting, `Our Father who art in Heaven.' They all joined in then, and after the prayer had been repeated, someone said that Green's associations with the ministry gave him a big advantage over the rest of them."
On Thursday evening, February 1, 1883, Commander T. H. Soward organized Arkansas City Post No. 158 of the Grand Army of the Republic. On Decoration Day, Wednesday, May 30, 1883, Winfield Post No. 85 observed the day with officers and members of the Arkansas City, Dexter, and Burden Posts.
Cowley County newspapers printed the announcement in mid-August 1883 that T. H. Soward, of Winfield, was a candidate for the office of register of deeds of Cowley County, noting that Mr. Soward was a gallant soldier during the late war, receiving an injury. Soward sent an explanation: "In your kind notice of my announcement as a candidate for Register of Deeds, your statement regarding my injury while in the service of my country needs this explanation. Just after the capture of Atlanta, I was severely injured by the kick of a horse on my right leg which has increased my lameness."
As the election approached, questions about candidates began. The Winfield Courier printed the following item. "We are told that there are many Republicans in Winfield, Arkansas City, and other parts of the county who are ardent supporters of the balance of the ticket, yet will not vote for T. H. Soward on account of his prohibition principles. We do not, cannot believe it. The Republican anti-prohibitionists have not been discriminated against in the convention and the nominations, but such were nominated in the convention by the aid of prohibition votes. No questions were asked as to a candidate's views on this question. The only questions asked were: `Is he capable? Is he honest? Will he do his duty?' In the judgment of the convention, all the nominees stood these tests. No one has ever questioned Soward's ability, integrity, or devotion to duty. No one questions his devotion to the Republican party. If McIntire or Nipp is elected, he will owe his election to T. H. Soward more than all others. Is it possible that any Republican who desires the election of the ticket, for a favorite candidate on it, will stab this champion in the back while he is doing such work for that favorite candidate or ticket? It is not strange that Democrats should dislike Soward for the heavy blows he has given them. It is not strange that they should try to communicate their ill will to Republicans, but it would be strange if any Republican should be weak enough to hear to them, and ungrateful enough to withhold a vote from Soward. Rather it should be the pride and duty of every Republican to work enthusiastically for Soward's election and give him a rousing majority, such a vote as will show that such services are appreciated."
In October 1883 a permanent organization was effected at a Soldiers' Reunion held in Winfield. T. H. Soward became President for the first year.
The Arkansas City Traveler on October 31, 1883, had the following item. "George Eaton was elected trustee of Spring Creek Township, `not because he was so distressingly popular, but to secure the defeat of a man who persisted in listing cattle held in the Indian Territory by prominent Republicans.' These Republicans got tired of paying lawyers to undo the work of one crank, and out of spite they turned in and elected this George Eaton. Since then George Eaton has gone daft. Sudden local prominence hath made him mad, and he essays to ride on this little ripple across the ocean of Cowley's politics into the haven afforded by the office of register of deeds. He forgets that T. H. Soward is skimming along on a wave that will bury Eaton and his handful of votes so far out of sight that he will never be heard of more. Mark this: Geo. Eaton will not carry his own township, and Soward will beat him in the county five hundred votes. This is official." The newspaper also commented: "T. H. Soward spoke last night in this city, and the audience contained four Democrats to one Republican, but he made votes and friends for the entire ticket."
Judge Soward took up his official duties as register of deeds on January 10, 1883, having won the election in November. In December 1883 Governor Glick appointed J. E. Snow as Justice of the Peace in place of Soward.
Soward kept up his interests in the Republican Party, temperance movement, Grand Army of the Republic, and ongoing Winfield enterprises. His reputation as an orator increased.
In March 1884 Register Soward paid W. P. Hackney $3,000 for a quarter block just south of the Courthouse and the three houses on those lots. Soward also purchased lots from Ed. P. Greer, H. D. Gans, and C. E. Fuller.
In May 1884 an ordinance was presented to the Winfield City Council by Messrs. W. P. Hackney, J. C. Long, T. H. Soward, and F. S. Jennings, granting to them a ninety-nine years street railway franchise. It was favorably considered by the council, but laid over for final action. The ordinance provided that an acceptance of its conditions must be filed in writing within thirty days after its passage, and the conditions specified that a first-class street railway, from the Santa Fe to the S. K. depot and on certain streets and avenues, was to be finished and fully and properly equipped for operation by July 4, 1885. The fare was placed at five cents for adults and three cents for children under fifteen, with no fare for those under three years when accompanied by parents. In June 1884 a ninety-nine years' street railway franchise was passed by the City Council to Hackney, Long, Soward, and Jennings.
Judge T. H. Soward became involved with one of the most unusual people to ever visit Winfield: Capt. A. A. Tuttle. His story was told in two different articles printed in the April 30, 1885, issue of the Winfield Courier. "Capt. A. A. Tuttle, the ex-king of the Cannibal Islands, left this morning for Wellington, with a heart as buoyant as a child's. He came here with but seventy-five cents in his pockets, expecting to reap enough for present needs from his lecture, his only dependence. But his old age, verging on childishness, caused mismanagement. He didn't circulate enough with his credentials. His story, at first, seems entirely too big to be real. His lecture didn't pay expenses, and yesterday the old gentleman was bowed down with a grief that was painful to see. With a heart as big as a mountain, Judge T. H. Soward circulated around, raised money enough and to spare in getting the Captain to his next engagement, guaranteeing personally his hotel bill, which was reduced half by Mr. Crampton, of the Central. The Captain will return here the last of this week or first of next, when our people, now that they are satisfied of his authenticity, will give him a rousing house. His lecture is replete with wonderful historical facts, put without embellishment, in the crude way of an old sea captain. THE DAILY COURIER is ready to assist the old gentleman in getting the audience he deserves, without money and without price. We are convinced of his worthiness. The G. A. R. boys, always on deck for the assistance of a worthy `vet,' will also show all encouragement possible."
"Capt. A. A. Tuttle's lecture at the Opera House last night was romantic and instructive. The Captain is certainly a wonderful man. THE DAILY COURIER, as did many others on first appearance, thought him to be an imposter, so wonderful were his stories. He is seventy- five years of age, of tall, angular form and silvery locks. His lack of tact and culture and his age prevent his creating the sensation and success his romantic life-experience should create. He has been in every land and clime and traversed the waters encircling the globe. He was fifty-five years a sailor, whaler, and explorer, three years King of the Cannibal Islands, and four years in the Rebellion as Captain of the South Atlantic Brigade. He was born in York State, was the fifteenth child of his mother, and when a mere boy ran away from home and drifted into a sailor's life. He finally became captain of a whaling vessel, and that part of his lecture relating to these sea monsters contained much valuable information. The sperm whale has only one nostril, while other varieties have two. He has no teeth on the upper jaw, while those in the lower one are pure ivory. The fins resemble a man's hand, with the same number of bones. The brains of one of them will fill twelve barrels. These brains are used to make sperm candles. According to the laws among whale hunters, the whale belongs to the man or vessel that first harpoons him, no matter by whom or where captured. The whale, when in the throes of death, goes it blind with tremendous rapidity, straight forward. It was thus that he was wrecked off the Fiji Islands. The vessel happened in the death track of a whale. A square header caved in the vessel's side and all took to their lifeboats. The Captain and five of his crew were drifted to the Fiji Islands, where the Man Eaters captured them. All perished but him. The Cannibals have a superstition that when a great man among them dies, his spirt will return sometime in a different body. A King had passed away a hundred years before, whose stature was six feet and four inchesthe only one of that height ever on their throne. Capt. Tuttle was carefully measured and filled the bill to a teeeven the former King's crown was a perfect fit. The Captain was unarmed and meekly submitted to their councils, not knowing, till he learned their language, his marvelous escape by duplicating another's stature. He reigned three years, when a vessel landed on the Islands. The Cannibals were determined to devour the crew, but the King prevented. He left with the crew for a visit, fully expecting to return, but in a Mediterranean port he learned that the American Rebellion had just broken out. His grandfather was in the Revolution and his father in the war of 1812, and he at once determined to enlist for his native country and sailed for this country, serving through the war. After the war he again went to sea, with an exploring expedition to the Polar regions, where he was wrecked and lived eight months with the Eskimos. The Captain claims to have been nearer the North Pole than any other living manup in the regions where daylight is continual, and his history of those regions seems to corroborate his statement. The Captain says that through his reign as King and his saving of the crew, with other influences he brought to bear, initiated the great missionary work that has been done recently among the Fiji Islanders. This all looks like a fairy tale, but those who have conversed with the Captain, heard his lecture, and have seen his credentials are throughly convinced. The life of the Captain has already furnished several romantic books and is now being compiled in detailed form for early publication. His oratory is after the uncouth, go-as-you-please fashion of a sea Captain, but the subject matter rivets the attention of an audience. He has no means and is merely dependent upon his lectures.
"Old age, almost childishness, causes mismanagement, and at present the old gentleman is absolutely without means. But our citizens have generously helped him out. He has a certificate of membership in the G. A. R. at Honolulu, Sandwich Islands, his former home."
Tom Wheeler Soward, infant son of T. H. and Lizzie Soward, passed away on September 30, 1884. In April 1885 Judge Soward visited the resting place of his first-born child with a Courier reporter, who wrote: "Union Cemetery has been wonderfully improved this spring. Several hundred evergreen trees have been set out, the walks and drives remodeled, and everything put in appropriate order for a home of the dead. Many new and beautiful monuments appear, and many lots are being artistically improved, notable among which is that of Judge Soward, where lies his baby boy. It is of unique shape, surrounded by a skillfully constructed terrace of Cowley County stone, and is being prepared for floral and shrubbery adornment. The old stone fence is about the only unsightly thing about Union Cemetery now. It should be torn out at once and replaced by a neat picket fence. A more lovely place for a cemetery couldn't be imagined, and its natural beauty is being doubled by tasteful and appropriate adornments. The G. A. R. has secured a tier of lots well located, in which to place their `vets,' who answer the last roll call and have no individual lot. The government furnishes neat headstones for such." Mr. and Mrs. Soward took no chances with their second child. In July 1885 Mrs. Soward took him to Pennsylvania and stayed with her parents for three months to assure that their boy stayed healthy.
On August 6, 1885, the Winfield Courier had the following items. "The oldest deed given in Cowley was filed with Register Soward Friday. It was made, if it don't lie, in 1865, when this country was a howling wilderness. It conveys a lot in Arkansas City from A. G. Lowe to Fannie Eckert. As it wasn't acknowledged and the other day it would appear that the man who drew it had been partaking excessively of `medicine,' a failing common at the Terminus. Of course, the deed is worthless with such a mistake. A deed was also filed Friday conveying property from A. F. Smith to E. P. Brooks, without a sign on the deed, farther than personal knowledge of the persons, to show in what place are lots 6 and 7, block 5. It is on the records, worthless. The parties live in Burden. Examine your deed with a keen eye, if you want no trouble."
Judge T. H. Soward was reelected in November 1885 as Register of Deeds without any opposition. On November 12, 1885, P. H. Albright & Co. announced that Tom Soward had been paid $1,630.50 for recording during the past year.
In March 1886 Judge Soward and family occupied the Platter residence, which he had recently purchased. It was considered one of the city's handsomest homes. He also traded some east Winfield real estate, which brought in $3,000 for the trade, to A. J. Thompson for the Buell lot located next to Snow's office on 9th avenue and proceeded quickly to put a frame business building on it. It was announced that the building would be occupied by a new drug stock.
Sol Burkhalter. Mr. Burkhalter was a well liked businessman of Winfield. He was the owner of a livery stable on the north side of 8th Avenue, between Main and Millington until he moved his stable to the corner of 10th avenue and Manning. It appears that he was the author, "ONE OF THE NINE," who related the story about the trip to the Territory in June 1881. In July 1881 he and his partner, Newcomb, were the contractors who carried mail regularly from Winfield to Salt City by way of Tannehill on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. In November 1881 he participated with Judge T. H. Soward and others in the "Grand Hunt" carried on by the Sportsmen of Winfield.
In August 1882 Burkhalter was one of the delegates from the Second Ward entitled to a seat at the Republican Convention and a man who beamed at the birth of a bouncing boy.
It appears that Mr. Burkhalter was a bad judge of sizing up people, according to an article printed by the Winfield Courier on August 24, 1882. "Sol Burkhalter the other day saw a couple of suspicious looking individuals in town and concluded they were horse thieves, because, as he said, `Their countenances gave them away.' Sol hunted up Sheriff Shenneman and led him to the place where the hard looking customers were sitting when Shenneman recognized them as a prominent Presbyterian clergyman of Wichita and a prominent bank cashier of the same town. They were not arrested."
Burkhalter was a very good judge of horses and mules. In September 1882 he was awarded second premium for having the best stallion four years and over at the County Fair.
On November 14, 1882, Mr. and Mrs. Sol Burkhalter had the misfortune to lose their baby boy. In December 1882 Burkhalter traded his livery outfit, comprising eleven head of horses, buggies, and harness to Mr. W. A. Freeman for an eighty acre farm in Beaver township, retaining his livery barn, which he leased to Mr. Freeman for one year.
In March 1883 it was noted that Sol Burkhalter had bought a lot of fine farm horses and was holding them for sale. In April he became quite sick with bilious fever. He recovered and on July 4th his horse, "Jumbo," came in fourth at the races held during the Fair. At the Cowley County Fair in September 1883 Burkhalter was the Superintendent of the department handling mules. Sol Burkhalter and Ivan Robinson started overland for Missouri in December 1883 in order to investigate the mule market.
Burkhalter, who owned two shares, was one of the seventy-five stockholders of the Cowley County Fair and Driving Park Association which met in the Opera House in January 1884 for the purpose of reorganizing the Board of Directors.
In April 1884 Burkhalter built a two-story addition to his residence on the north side of 7th Avenue between Loomis and Fuller. In August 1884 it was noted that Sol Burkhalter had disposed of sixty-one Texas and Indian ponies during one week at an average price of $21.00 apiece and that he had sold over a hundred and sixty head of ponies since spring.
In December 1884 J. B. Lynn organized the Fowler Town Company after visiting the western part of Ford County. J. B. Lynn, J. B. Fowler, John Keck, Sol Burkhalter, T. F. Axtell, and others formed the company.
In September 1885 Sol Burkhalter, wife, and baby came in from Fowler, Meade County, to see Cowley's big show and visit friends. Someone commented: "It seems mighty old times to hear that gentle laugh of Sol's once more." The speed ring at the Cowley County Fair & Driving Park Association ran smoothly under the superintendency of James Vance and the judgeship of Capt. P. A. Huffman, Messrs. A. T. Spotswood, and Sol Burkhalter in 1885 as these men were old in turf experience and could readily tell every point in a race.
Mrs. Burkhalter and baby son remained in Winfield while Sol Burkhalter returned to Fowler after the County Fair. He came back in November 1885 after his wife became ill.
In December 1885 Burkhalter contributed $5.00 to assist in the Winfield effort to provide an extension of the Florence El Dorado & Walnut railroad from Douglass to Winfield.
Burkhalter became a news service to Winfield citizens due to his frequent trips between Fowler and Winfield. In January 1886 he reported that four men had frozen to death at Dodge City, but none near Fowler. He expressed the opinion that the reports of great loss of life in that country were exaggerated although a large number of cattle perished and his friend, George Fowler, had lost 180 head of sheep. Sol stated that the storm in the "wild west" was less severe than in Winfield.
In March 1886 Sol Burkhalter informed the Winfield Courier that Olathe had fifty cases of smallpox, brought there by a man from Texas. Thus far there had been no deaths reported.
In April 1886 Burkhalter, T. H. Soward, and other old timers of the Winfield Gun Club knocked the wadding out of glass ballsthe first shoot of the season. Plans were made to reorganize the Winfield Gun Club, using a new invention, the Peoria blackbird, instead of the glass balls.
Some people never change! In October 1891 Sol Burkhalter was still residing in Winfield and planning a trip down through the Territory with friends from Dayton, Indiana.
William R. Whitney. Will Whitney, twenty years of age, came from Michigan in November 1879 and became a clerk at Horning & Robinson's Hardware Store, 906 Main, Winfield. At the time of the trip to the Territory in June 1881, young Whitney was known only for his ability to socialize well with different members of the community.
In April 1882 Will Whitney had a house built in the second ward, using I. W. Randall as the contractor and John Craine to handle the plastering. He was joined by his mother, Mrs. Mary L. Whitney, and his sister, Libbie, who came to Winfield after the new residence was completed in August 1882. His mother soon became a member of the social circle in Winfield.
In October 1882 the firm of Horning, Robinson & Co., was dissolved. Horning took on William R. Whitney as his partner and the firm name was changed to "Horning and Whitney." In November their store had on exhibition a beautiful marble grate for a fireplace: a work of art as well as of comfort. The grate was made of galvanized iron, mounted in highly polished and carved marbleized iron, and had a mantle and side pieces of the same material. It was placed in the residence of Mr. H. E. Silliman.
Will Whitney began to handle the advertising for Horning & Whitney in 1883. His first ads featured their stock of cutlery, the largest in Kansas, each piece being warranted. In May the famous "New Jewel" gasoline stove was featured along with the fact that they had a large quantity of wool twine, wool sacks, and sheep shears, the best and cheapest.
In September 1883 they played up their splendid stock of guns and ammunition, reminding sportsmen that the hunting season had arrived, and announced that they had the largest and best stock of shelf and heavy hardware in Winfield.
In October 1883 W. R. Whitney, of the hardware firm of Horning & Whitney, spent a week in the East buying goods.
For some months in early 1884 Winfield was plagued with an arsonist. As a result, Horning & Whitney joined with other merchants in paying $222.50 as a reward for the apprehension and conviction of any person or persons engaged in setting any incendiary fire in the city of Winfield, either heretofore or hereafter. Events leading to merchants offering a reward were as follows. A lot of hay was stuffed under the rear end of Hendricks & Wilson's hardware store, located at 919 Main, and ignited about half past seven o'clock in the evening. Mr. James McLain, who had been acting as night watchman, first discovered and put it out. Shortly before, when walking across Manning Street and Tenth Avenue, McLain passed a man who was walking hurriedly. As soon as he passed, the man broke into a run, and a moment after that McLain discovered the fire. When he turned, the man had disappeared in the darkness. A fire was started in a barn owned by Mr. Hodges followed by a fire in the Shenneman barn. It was determined that the person responsible must have been aware that people residing nearby had ready access to a hose, enabling them to put out a fire quickly. Many concluded that the culprit showed a lack of deep intent to do great injury.
In February 1884 Messrs. J. S. Lyon & Co. opened out a complete stock of plumbing, steam, and gas-fitting goods at their office and shop, located at Horning & Whitney's.
In March 1884 Horning & Whitney featured the finest assortment of bird cages ever brought to Winfield. In April they announced that they had the latest improved patterns in gasoline stoves.
In May 1884 J. S. Lyon & Co., whose office and shop were at Horning & Whitney's, announced that they were ready to fit up stores and dwellings with gas pipes at reasonable rates. Horning & Whitney featured the lately improved "New Jewel" Gasoline stove while J. S. Lyon & Co. advertised that they had garden hose in lengths to suit as well as lawn sprinklers, hose carts, etc.
In June 1884 Horning & Whitney advertised refrigerators in all sizes and ice cream freezers.
The Winfield Courier on June 19, 1884, had an article about an unusual stove.
"For years people have been complaining of the hilarious air of Kansas, but some inventive genius, recognizing the great want of this country, has made something by which this surplus wind can be made a comfort and joy forever. It is a stove that burns air; no other fuel whatever needed. This seems incredible, but by calling on Horning & Whitney, you can see the wonder. And it is an immense success. It is made like a gasoline stove, only the tank holds air instead of gasoline. A rubber tube is attached to the tank; you put it in your mouth, blow the tank full of air, light the burner, and your stove is in running order for the day. It is a curiosity and should be seen by everyone. Horning & Whitney have its exclusive sale."
On July 24, 1884, the Winfield Courier told about burglars.
"Winfield has recently been troubled with burglars for the first time in several years. We mentioned last week the burglarizing of Hughes & Cooper's grocery, and last Friday night the work was renewed in Horning & Whitney's hardware establishment with efforts at a larger haul. The entrance was effected by prying open a back window. Tools were secured from the tin shop and an effort made to break open the safe. They succeeded in drilling almost through the door to the lock-bar, with the evident intention of getting into the safe by breaking this bar, when something seemed to upset their nerves and they dropped the tools and lit out. Appearances indicated that the parties weren't schooled in safe cracking. Billy Whitney, being absent from the store, had not made the usual bank deposit on Thursday and the safe contained about five hundred dollars. Several hard looking strangers have been loafing around town lately whose means of livelihood seem very dark, but no conclusive evidence has yet been found. The mere fact of an able-bodied man being without visible means of support these busy times is sufficient to brand him as a bad character and his movements should be closely watched."
Mr. William R. Whitney finally took a month's vacation in September 1884, visiting familiar places in Michigan. When he returned to Winfield, he began attending social events. Mrs. M. L. Whitney, assisted by her daughter, Miss Libbie, and son, W. R., entertained a number of guests at their home on South Mansfield in February 1886.
On March 4, 1886, the Winfield Courier had the following item. "On Monday evening, March 1, 1886, Mr. Will R. Whitney married Miss Mary E. Hamill at the home of his mother, Mrs. M. L. Whitney. Only the immediate friends and relatives of the bridal pair were present, among whom were Rev. and Mrs. J. C. Miller, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Horning, Mr. and Mrs. M. L. Robinson, and Master Roy, Mrs. N. J. Platter and little daughter, Belle, and Misses Nellie and Alice Aldrich. The ceremony was tersely and impressively pronounced by Rev. Miller, and after hearty congratulations all around, an inspection revealed a number of handsome tokens, all the more valued by coming only from intimate friends. Among the remembrances were a beautifully framed portrait of the bride's deceased uncle, Rev. J. E. Platter, by Mrs. Platter; a silver cake basket, Mr. and Mrs. M. L. Robinson; set of china hand- painted fruit plates, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Horning; hand painted plaque, Mrs. I. W. Randall, and other elegant articles. The wedding, though without extensive display, was thoroughly enjoyable. The newly made pair start on the dual life with a future full of promise. The groom is the junior of the extensive hardware firm of Horning & Whitney, and has long stood foremost among the city's most prominent young businessmen, energetic, of close application and genial manner. The bride, for some years, has been an instructor in our city schools, is a lady of refinement and culture, and has a keen ambition and independence that always accompany the truest womanhood. Mr. and Mrs. Whitney have furnished rooms in the Holmes block on South Main, where they will reside until they build a home."
W. H. Albro. Mr. W. H. Albro, from Elmira, New York, a nephew of Alonzo Howland, visited his uncle in June 1880. Alonzo Howland was one of the earliest settlers to arrive in Cowley County. In the Centennial year Howland still resided in his frame home, the first built in the county. He had to haul the lumber over 100 miles without the sign of a road to his site. In July 1880 Mr. Albro engaged in business in Winfield. He started working around March 1881 at the Winfield Carriage Works, the first carriage manufactory in Winfield, started by Mr. W. F. Dorley and a Mr. Myers on Ninth Avenue. Two of their first buggies were sold to John Whistler, a former trader with the Sac and Fox Agency, who maintained a ranch and other property in Indian Territory. His foreman, John O. Stuart, twenty-eight years of age, a former resident of Sheridan township, arranged for the purchase of the wagons in March 1881, clad in a full suit of Buckskin, trimmed with fringe, looking like a "roving ranger."
Mr. Albro went with the group in June 1881 to the Territory.
Mr. Myers retired from the Winfield carriage manufactory in August 1881 and Mr. W. H. Albro took his place. By November 1881 the Winfield Carriage Works moved to Main Street, taking over the brick block erected by Col. J. M. Alexander in January 1880 near the north depot. These rooms (605-109 Main) had an area of 25 by 76 feet on the first floor and 1,800 square feet of storage space in the basements. They were turned into a blacksmith shop, a wood-work shop, a paint shop, an office, and stock room in which the firm manufactured light work exclusively, such as buggies, phaetons, carriages, and light wagons. Mr. Albro hired his brother-in-law, James H. Clatworthy, of Elmira, New York, to come to Winfield to handle one of the most important elements of carriage work, the paint shop. The firm had fifteen employees, who turned out five buggies and spring wagons each week. Since its inception the firm had manufactured and sold 150 buggies and spring wagons. Ninety- nine of these were equipped with the Elliptic side-bar spring: the invention and property of Mr. Dorley. In November 1881 they had on hand $1,500 worth of work ready for delivery. Their buggies ranged in price from $60 to $250, built and sold cheaper than a buggy from Chicago inasmuch as they could ship the material in at less than the rates for one finished.
The quality of work being turned out was equal to any eastern manufacture. Mr. Dorley had built buggies all his life and had been foreman of several of the largest carriage factories in the United States. The shops were run on the most business-like principles with everything moving like clock work. One man did nothing but make buggy boxes, another worked exclusively on another part. Every employee did nothing but that with which he was most familiar. As a result, all the parts worked harmoniously. They turned out buggies and wagons for Wichita, Wellington, Arkansas City, and many other neighboring towns.
By December 1881 the Winfield Carriage Works was making more improvements, Mr. Dorley having invented and patented a new spring.
In March 1883 the Winfield City Council faced a problem: Mr. W. F. Dorley objected to the erection of an ice house by Charley Harter of the Brettun House and the passage of a city ordinance letting the Brettun out of the fire limits. Dorley claimed that the ice house added to his insurance rate. He had Harter up before the police court, so the matter was brought to the Council for adjustment. Holders of eight out of the twelve lots in the block were in favor of letting Harter have his ice house, so the matter was laid over until the next meeting with the understanding that the suits would be dropped and the ordinance passed.
By April 1883 the capacity of the Winfield Carriage Works had increased and thirty-eight employees were busy turning out from twelve to twenty finished rigs every week.
In August 1883 Dorley, the carriage maker, was laid up for a week with a bad attack of rheumatism. In October 1883 Albro & Dorley received first premium at the Cowley County Fair for having the best open buggy, best spring wagon, and best top buggy of any manufacture on exhibition. On February 13, 1884, the partnership of Albro & Dorley was dissolved by mutual consent. All accounts due the firm were left with Mr. S. D. Pryor for collection. Mr. Dorley sold his sorrel pacer and about all of his Winfield property, going east to seek a remedy for the rheumatism with which he had been seriously afflicted with for some time past. In March 1884 W. F. Dorley accepted an offer of $1,000 and lots on which to erect buildings and soon started a carriage factory in Harper, Kansas. In March 1886 Dorley was taken in for the wrong man at Harper by the editor of the Danville Express, who claimed Dorley had threatened him if he would publish anything detrimental to the Weaver boys, recent murderers of Shearer at Danville. He was held in jail for a day until it was realized that a mistake in identity had been made.
In January 1885 W. H. Albro took on a new partner: Bishop. Albro's new partner was a skilled mechanic but he was not a supervisor. Albro departed and a new firm, Githens & Bishop, took charge of the Winfield Carriage Works.
Mr. Albro began working for his Uncle, Alonzo Howland, at the Dollar Store, going East in October 1885 to lay in a big stock of goods. He and wife stayed in Winfield and remained a part of the social group.
Drury Warren Family. During the Territorial trip in 1881, the Winfield group encountered the wife of Drury Warren, a well regarded cattleman from Silverdale, Kansas.
Warren enlisted in the Confederate Army at Red Springs, Arkansas, and was captured by Union Soldiers at Mound City, Kansas. He was paroled and sent to Alton, Illinois, in 1865. From there he was sent to James River, Virginia, for exchange. He married Amanda Wilson in 1866 and in 1876 they settled on a farm south of Silverdale, Cowley County, Kansas, where they raised their family. Drury Warren died on December 20, 1901, after striking the back of his head on a rock when getting out of his buggy, causing a skull fracture from which he never recovered, leaving his wife and five children. His widow, Amanda, died on February 16, 1912, at Silverdale.
Drury Warren began to buy land from his neighbors in 1877, as many of those who had settled nearby were dissatisfied and decided to move. In February 1877 he purchased the Coburn farm for $1,900 when young Coburn decided to seek his fortune in Colorado. He also bought the places owned by Messrs. McFadden and Reed.
In November 1877 Mr. Warren sold his cattle to the Freeman boys, who with Messrs. Austin & Haynes decided to herd cattle in Indian Territory during the winter.
The Arkansas City Traveler printed the following item on February 13, 1878.
"A negro by the name of Sam Houston stole a horse from Mr. Austin, on Grouse Creek last Thursday, the property of one Mr. Warren. Sam Houston was overtaken near Tisdale, shot at, robbed of his hat and money ($2.60), and then delivered to an officer. Subject for the next schoolhouse debate: `Which is the more honorableto steal a horse, or rob a man of his money and his hat?' W. B."
In May 1880 Drury Warren, of Grouse Creek, returned from Arkansas, having purchased a herd of cattle at low rates. In June 1880 area newspapers told about a party of Big Hill Joe's tribe of Osages seizing and slaughtering thirty-seven of Mr. Warren's cattle without cause or provocation except mere cussedness. A friendly Indian assisted Mr. Warren in his search throughout the Osage settlement, where the heads and hides of the slaughtered cattle were found stowed away in the different huts. The Osage agent promised to get pay for the cattle if possible.
In September 1880 cattlemen began to see their herds dying at a great rate from a disease called by different names: "murrain," "Spanish Fever," "Texas Fever," etc. Warren, like others was prompted to ship his steers at once. Drury Warren had another enemy to combat: a man called "One Davis" from Texas, who drove upon the range in Indian Territory that Mr. Warren had selected to put up some 75 tons of hay for winter consumption. The papers kept mute over the ensuing range difficulties.
In December 1880 Warren joined with other Grouse Greek settlers in posting a notice that all persons found hunting or shooting on their respective farms would be prosecuted for trespass. Ira Barnett changed the point of shipment for hogs in December 1880 when he shipped hogs purchased from Drury Warren for $561 from Arkansas City in lieu of Winfield.
Rail shipments increased from Arkansas City. In November 1881 John S. Nichols shipped out both hogs and cattle, purchased from Drury Warren. Nichols paid $1,578.76 for hogs and $428.00 for cattle. By 1882 buyers were going to the Territory to purchase cattle. In June 1882 Ira Barnett and L. C. Norton purchased 127 head of cattle from Drury Warren at his cattle camp on Black Bear, Indian Territory, which they shipped from Arkansas City to Kansas City. In July 1882 Ira Barnett handled another shipment of 136 head of Drury Warren's cattle by the same method. He averaged about six carloads of stock each week.
Drury Warren was one of the thirty stockmen who attended a meeting in Arkansas City on December 18, 1882, where they were informed that eastern companies were erecting fences in Indian Territory and depriving stockmen of several ranges even though they had paid and held a license to do this. A series of resolutions were presented that had been prepared by J. E. Snow and W. P. Hackney of Winfield, acting attorneys for the stockmen. Stockmen present pledged themselves to abide by and aid each other to the utmost extremity in resisting the action of the fencing monopolies which were illegally forcing them from their ranges. Warren and others became members of the "Cherokee Strip Live Stock Association," headquartered at Caldwell, Kansas, which began assisting Territory stockmen in their fight.
In January 1883 Drury Warren and A. A. Wiley, who had cattle interests southwest of the Ponca Indian's tract, made plans to fence the land they were occupying. In the same month Mr. Warren purchased Mr. D. J. Coburn's farm on Grouse Creek for $4,000. This in addition to the land he already owned gave him a farm of over fifteen hundred acres. Also, in January 1883 Drury Warren, while returning from the Territory, had both ears severely frozen when an unexpected snow storm hit. He was successfully treated by Dr. J. T. Shepard.
The Caldwell Commercial on Thursday, March 22, 1883, had an article relative to a horse thief. "Last Sunday, Capt. Nipp and Mr. McIntire came over from Arkansas City, and during the remainder of the day were engaged in very close conversation with Mayor Colson and others. On Monday the party suddenly disappeared, and early the next morning returned to town with Deputy U. S. Marshall Cash Hollister, who had in charge a young fellow going by the name of Frank Hostetter. The circumstances which led to Hostetter's arrest are about as follows. For some time stockmen on the range have been missing their horses, but all efforts to trace the stock were unavailing until one day last week, when Hostetter appeared in Arkansas City and sold a horse which he claimed he had bought from an Indian. After which he left town, and on his way, stole a horse from Mr. Warren and put out. Capt. Nipp and Mr. McIntire immediately started for Caldwell, and securing the services of Mr. Hollister, started to find the thief. They came upon him near Johnson's ranch, finding him in company with Jay Wilkinson, another party who has for some time been suspected of being engaged in stealing stock. The latter, however, getting away, taking one of Johnson's horses to aid him in his escape. Hostetter was taken to Arkansas City, where he will be examined before the U. S. Commissioner. As for Mr. Wilkinson, he will yet be taken in. The stock owners on the Strip are determined to break up the system of cattle and horse stealing which has been carried on for some time, and if the thieves don't have a care, some of them may find themselves at the end of a rope one of these fine spring mornings."
Warren's troubles continued. In late March 1883 he lost several head of cows and calves in a prairie fire on his range in the Territory, known as "Duck Creek and Chikaskia."
While at the Territory round-up in June 1883, Warren had a dispute with Mr. Beach over a steer Warren claimed. A fight ensued, knives being drawn, and Mr. Warren was wounded. Beach came to Arkansas City and gave bond for his appearance before Justice Bonsall. Drury Warren had his shoulder and part of the muscle of his left arm cut, but not seriously.
The Arkansas City Republican of February 16, 1884, carried news of the death of two of the Drury Warren children. "A sad accident occurred on Grouse Creek, last week. The two little sons, aged four and seven years respectively, of Mr. Drury Warren, went to the creek for the purpose of playing. Mrs. Warren soon missed them and went in search of them. She found them struggling in the water. The distracted mother plunged into the stream, and doubtless, would have been drowned, but for the intervention of her daughter. The little boys were reached by the neighbors, but not until life was extinguished. Mr. Warren was in Kansas City at the time. He was telegraphed and reached home in time to see his dear children interred. Words cannot express the sorrow of the community in this sad bereavement of such an excellent family."
In 1884 attention was given to stock brands. It was noted in the February 6, 1884, issue of the Arkansas City Traveler that it was almost impossible to get a brand for stock different from any other brand. Drury Warren used a boot brand on the sides of his steers that ranged on the Sweet Water. S. L. Williams, who managed Drury Warren's cattle ranch in March 1884, reported that cattle were very thin in consequence of not having sufficient hay. A later report revealed that they lost a great number of cattle.
In May 1884 Drury Warren built an addition to his house that was 24 ft. by 28 ft. He sold his herd of cattle to Mr. J. S. Van Nortwick, of Batavia, Illinois, who had recently bought an interest in Pollock's ranch, in the Osage country of Indian Territory.
In July 1884 Drury Warren had Charles Elwood arrested by O. S. Rarick for stealing cattle from him in the Territory. Elwood posted bond of $1,000 for his appearance before Commissioner Bonsall on July 22, 1884. The correspondent in the Kansas City Indicator stated, "It looks as though the Cherokee Strip Live Stock Association will be able to pay $500 for another conviction."
In August 1884 the hospitable Warren family took in a young man, "Theodore Rosebell," who asked for employment and lodging. On the following day they discovered that the boy had departed during the night, taking with him a revolver, razor, coat, and articles too numerous to mention. An active search was made for the young man, who was found hiding in the woods. He was arrested and incarcerated in the county jail.
Late in August 1884 the farmers and stockmen of Silverdale township, south of the Maple City road, organized themselves into a protective association to prevent the killing of game on their farms and ranches, and offered $10 each for every prosecution made by any member of the association, agreeing to stand by the person prosecuting to the very end of the law. Among the prime movers in the matter were I. D. Harkleroad, John Irons, Mr. John H. Showalter, C. M. Scott, Drury Warren, Estus Brothers, Squire D. J. Coburn, and others. The protective association hoped that this would put a stop to a number of hunters camping on their farms and staying as long as a quail could be seen.
In October 1884 Drury Warren became a stockholder in the Arkansas City Woolen Manufacturing Company.
In February 1885 the hotel register in Arkansas City showed the names of two persons from Indian Territory: Drury Warren and Alex Harvey. Warren and Harvey departed that month for Arizona to seek a location for a cattle ranch. They returned in about a month, as they found the location they looked at was too dry to maintain cattle. In April 1885 the Silverdale correspondent, "P. Q.," informed the Arkansas City Traveler readers that Warren and Harvey were going to start their flocks to Arizona soon, commenting, "We are sorry to lose two of our best farmers and citizens, even if they are Democrats."
Drury Warren returned from his stock ranch in Arizona in November 1885 on a visit. He had some ponies stolen by the Navajo Indians, and in trying to capture the animals, a small battle was waged between his herdsmen and the Indians. Mr. Warren came out victorious.
Warren stated that an employee on his farm, near the mouth of Grouse Creek about nine miles east of Arkansas City, had found an 18 inch vein of coal, but refused to divulge its whereabouts unless well paid. Mr. Warren refused to credit the story at first; he was informed later by others there was a strong possibility that coal did exist on his farm.
Drury Warren returned to Arizona in late March 1886, taking with him his herd of cattle. Word soon reached him that a daughter had died and that Mrs. Warren was ill. He quickly sold out in Arizona and returned home. His sister-in-law, Mrs. R. D. Warren, came with him while his brother went to Texas to go into the stock business.
A Grouse Greek correspondent, who went by the name of "Jumbo," kept the Arkansas City Republican readers apprized of events taking place in the Silverdale area.
May 15, 1886. Drury Warren, son and daughter, arrived from Arizona a few days ago. Saturday he made quite a purchase in the stock line. Mr. Warren is one of your go ahead men and you will always see him up and doing.
May 29, 1886. The writer and several friends partook of a splendid dinner at Drury Warren's Wednesday. Mr. Warren took a rig and part of his guests and took a vanscoot over a part of the township, and a portion of his farm. Mr. Warren's generosity is seldom excelled in that respect.
June 19, 1886. Nearly all of the wheat is cut on the Creek. Mr. Drury Warren has a splendid crop this season. Mr. Warren has bought a splendid team of horses for the farm.
June 26, 1886. Mr. Drury Warren has gone west to look for more cattle.
July 10, 1886. Mr. Drury Warren is repairing his house and making quite a commodious dwelling out of it. Drury Warren has secured another cattle ranch down in the Territory.
July 17, 1886. Simon Ely and Charlie Show are building a stone fence for Drury Warren.
July 24, 1886. Dan Bunnell has sold his Silverdale farm of 230 acres to Drury Warren for $7,910 and Dan's interest in the crop. Dan will probably move to the city for a time. One of Mr. Drury Warren's teams ran away with a load of lumber last Saturday; and something serious might have happened, but for the timely assistance of D. Bunnell and Frank Allen, who caught the runaway team. Gilbert and Warren shipped six carloads of cattle to Kansas City today.
August 7, 1886. Drury Warren allowed us to sample one of his melons raised over on Grouse Creek, and we found it just as good as we have tasted this season.
August 21, 1886. Alex Harvey and wife started for Texas the 10th. Arthur Bunnell sold his crop to Drury Warren for $200.
August 27, 1886. Drury Warren brought in some fine samples of corn raised on his Silverdale Township farms. He will have between seven and eight thousand bushels. His crop will average about forty bushels to the acre.
September 11, 1886. We are well satisfied with our prospects for a corn crop when we hear from the surrounding country. Drury Warren has got as fine a piece of corn as this county affords; it is on the farm formerly owned by D. Bunnell, who sold out to Mr. Warren and has gone to the city to live.
October 6, 1886. Drury Warren is preparing to start on his annual trip to Arkansas.
October 30, 1886. Mr. Drury Warren is expected home from Arkansas today.
January 15, 1887. Mr. Drury Warren has gone to Kansas City with a lot of fat cattle.
February 12, 1887. The "dinner party" given at Mr. Drury Warren's this week was a grand success and the viands spread before that multitude showed that the women folks knew well the art of cooking and the secret of making it a success. This dinner was given in honor of Mr. Warren's birthday.
Death of Drury Warren's Last Surviving Grandson. On Friday, December 26, 2003, the Arkansas City Traveler noted the death of Joe Ellison Warren, 91, Maple City, who died on Tuesday, December 23, 2003, at the William Newton Hospital of Winfield. Joe Warren was born on September 17, 1912, in Silverdale, the son of James and Phoebe (Harkleroad) Warren. He was reared and educated in Silverdale and Arkansas City, graduating from Arkansas City High School in 1931.
Joe Warren married Pauline Goff on September 4, 1932, at the Pilgrim Congregational Church in Arkansas City. The couple made their home in Silverdale and then moved to a location near Maple City in the mid 1930s, where Joe owned and operated his farm and ranch for many years. Mr. Warren served as a state senator from Cowley County for thirty-two years before retiring in 1988. Mr. Warren was survived by his wife Pauline, of the home; one son, Jim Warren and his wife, Rita; and a sister, Mildred Baird-Lawsonall residents of Arkansas City; five grandchildren, twenty-seven great-grandchildren, and numerous great- great grandchildren.
Thus ends the story of a trip to the Indian Territory in June 1881 that appeared in the Winfield Courier and the people involved in the article.