The starting of the Moore refinery is a bigger job than one could expect. It is a gigantic task getting ready for this plant to begin operation. At the present time there are more than one hundred employees at work. Many thousand dollars will have been spent on the payroll before fires under the stills are started and when it does start, the plant will be operated at a slow gait at first.

This can be readily seen when it will be remembered that it took the plant 28 days to run down after the feed was cut off last January, and it will be almost a month in getting under full headway in the various departments even after the fires are started under the stills. It is reported today that several of the stills will be running before Sunday.

In order to expedite the starting of the plant, a temporary change has been made. Battery one, which consists of steam stills for re-running high gravity stock, is to be used for first run of crude, pending the getting ready of batteries two and three. When these two batteries are ready, crude will be switched to battery three, the first battery the crude passes through. Then battery one will be made ready for gasoline and benzine.

Half the men employed at the plant now are working on battery one, getting it ready to start. Mud in the condensor pans was two feet deep, and this is being cleaned out, and the scale is being removed from the coils of pipe in the pans. Four gangs of pipe fitters are busy testing the lines, which constitute the main arteries of the plant. At present they are working on lines that run from the main pump house to the tanks, stills, and loading racks.

Electricians and several assistants are preparing motors, stringing lines and replacing lights. An obstacle that stands in the way of starting the stills immediately is the storehouse is empty and the refinery cannot operate without supplies. Another one is that the motors in the eight wells of the plant are not in running order; therefore, the water supply is not available in sufficient quantity, as it requires a constant stream of water for the condensor pans when the stills are running. The supplies are expected to arrive at any hour, and the wells will be ready for use before Sunday.

E. E. Grimes, pipe-fitter, was painfully injured yesterday while at work by striking his head against the end of a pipe that protruded from the wall above his head, when he raised up from a stooping posture. He was given treatment at the laboratory and is getting along nicely.




"Moore products will be on the market inside of a week," was the word that came from the former Milliken refinery, now known as the Moore refinery, this morning.

Still No. 4 was being charged this morning, and the fires were to be lighted under the boilers of battery 1 this afternoon. Battery 1 consists of steam stills and has a capacity of 1,000 barrels per day, and is a complete refinery in itself.

A force of men began today the work of dismantling battery 6, and the company will put reconstruction in its place. This still was built as an experiment, and was a high pressure plant which was condemned by the fire underwriters about three years ago. It will be entirely removed and new construction put in its place.

Ben Hadley will be chief stillman and he goes on the job tonight. Some of the other stills on the battery will be started tomorrow. Batteries 2 and 3 will be started later.

The company is making rapid progress in getting things in shape for operation, and while the smoke will be pouring from the smokestacks of one battery this afternoon, and others soon, it will be some time for the plant to be running into its regular swing of production owing to radical changes and reconstruction.



FRIDAY, JUNE 23, 1922

The Moore refinery is the biggest industry in Arkansas City, next to the Santa Fe, and it is the second largest refinery in the state. The reopening of this gigantic plant is not only the largest work going on in Arkansas City today, but it is the center of interest also.

Comparatively few people of our city ever were inside the plant; therefore, they do not realize the magnitude of the institution. It consists of three main batteries of stills, two batteries of high pressure stills. These are being removed to make room for new construction, and two auxiliary batteries. In addition, it has a complete wax plant and also a lubricating plant, where lubricating oils of all kinds are produced. It also has a complete machine shop, carpenter shop, tank car repair department, boiler shop, electric shop, storehouse, laboratory, and two office buildings. When running to its present capacity, it will require o er 200 men to operate the plant and the men used on construction will greatly augment this number. There will be fully 1,000 people dependent on the refinery when running to capacity; the payroll will exceed $1,000 a day, nearly all of which will go into the cash registers of Arkansas City.

The plant is of such gigantic proportions that it will start slowly. No great industry can be started in a day. Today part of battery one is running. This battery, which consists of the steam stills, can be utilized as a complete refinery, and this is what has been done with it.

A large force is engaged in cleaning the big condensor pans and stills on battery three. Ordinarily this is the first battery through which the crude passes. Battery two consists of the intermediate stills, and batter one is for re-runing high gravity stock.

Another force is busily engaged in preparing the treating plant where the water is treated for the ten big boilers that supply steam for the plant.

Another force is starting the wells that supply the immense amount of water the plant must have.

Several gangs of pipe fitters and electtricians are busy. The machine shop also is a scene of special activity.

Superintendent Wilkins and other high officials are busy superintending the starting of the plant. They have demonstrated that they thoroughly understand the business.

The men employed so far are nearly all the old Mid-Co crew, but many new men will have to be admitted to form a complete crew as many of the old crew went away and will not return.

Among the leaders of the old crew who punched the refinery clock regularly are Hanley, Taylor, Ray Norton, Kendrick, Brrown, Stanley, Mayberry, Baker, Rector, and Crystelier, Curtis, and others.

Some of those who will be missed are "Big Jim," Palan Henderson, Shivers, McCune, Riley, Tennant, Ash, Certes, and Hiatt.

Two stills are going on battery one. Another one will be started this afternoon. Two main boilers are in operation. A carload of supplies arrived this morning.





The first car of gasoline sold by the new company is being loaded today. The Frisco is putting on an extra switch engine, extra switch crew, and an extra clerk at the depot to take care of the refinery business. The machinery in the wax plant is being run today to test it out. There is a force of men at work today repairing the insulation on the tall towers on Battery one and one of the agitators. James Knight, of Chanute, has arrived and has entered upon his duties as the treater. Geo. Phau, of Jeffersonville, Ind., arrived today and has entered upon his duties as head chemist for the Moore refinery.



FRIDAY, JULY 7, 1922

Ten more men were put on this morning, among them Carl Williams and Herbert Olson. The number on the payroll is nearing the 200 mark at the Moore plant. The lubricating plant was started up this morning. It has practically the same force as under the Mid-Co management.

Fires have been lighted under two more stills of battery two, which makes approximately one third of the stills in the plant in operation. The wax plant and casing head plant have not yet been started, but are about ready.

Five car loads of material for the construction at the south end of the ground have arrived. Some changes in officing the various departments has been made: the superintendent's office is now in a room in the shipping department; and the assistant superintendent is now located in the laboratory.




Twenty-four Arkansas City men were given jobs this morning at the Moore refinery. Over two hundred men are now employed at the big plant. The population of Arkansas City has been increased one thousand by the Moore plant.

Among the former employees taken on this morning were Tom Rhodes, George Smith, and Charles Lemmon.

Two pipe fitters were hurt yesterday afternoon. They are Clifford Haywood, who had two fingers mashed; and Robert King, whose hand was bruised. Both men were treated by Dr. E. A. Tufts, the company physician. They will not be able to work for several days.

The shifts of pipe fitters and electric welders have been working night and day in the receiving house, No. 2, in order to hurry the starting of old stills on battery No. 5. New manifold coils and improved boxes are being installed here, the same as on battery No. 3.

The parts of the Moore plant yet to be started are the wax plant, and the casing head plant. The wax and lubricating oil shipping building on battery No. 3 is being given a complete overhauling.

A big gang of contractors and teams began hauling sand today for the new constructions at the plant. Only the cold settlings division of the wax plant is running. This is to enable the lubricating plant to be operated. No wax is being produced yet.

The Moore plant is maintaining its daily run of five thousand barrels of crude daily, with about one half of the stills in operation.



MONDAY, JULY 17, 1922

Over two hundred men are now employed. Shifts of pipe fitters and electric welders have been working night and day in receiving house No. 2, in order to hurry the starting of stills of No. 2. Improved manifold coils and look boxes are being installed here, the same as at receiving house No. 3. The units of the plant yet to be started are the wax plant, casinghead, wax and lubricating shipping building, and battery 3, which is being given a general overhauling. Fifteen new men went to work this morning. Twenty cars of refined products are being moved out today. Five additional cars of construction material were received this morning at the Moore refinery.



MONDAY, JULY 24, 1922

Guy Thurman, an employee of the wax plant at the Moore Refinery, was badly scalded over the upper portion of his body Sunday morning. He had climbed up on a ladder to open a gate on a 6 inch steam line, which is eight or nine feet above the ground, when a hole nearly as large as a man's hand blew out in a reducer coupling almost overhead; the escaping steam striking him fairly on the head, shoulders, and upper half of his body. One arm was particularly badly scalded. The injured man was removed to the Arkansas City hospital, where his injuries were dressed. He was said to be doing as well as could be expected this afternoon. The attending physician reported that the injuries, while not of a critical nature, are very severe and painful. So bad were the burns that a part of the skin on Mr. Thurman's face, neck, and left arm peeled off soon after the accident occurred. Mr. Thurman has a wife and one child.

The work at the Moore refinery has entered its second phase. Up to last week the main efforts were directed in the work of starting batteries 1 and 2 and the lubricating wax plants. All these are in operation now, and the main work has shifted to the remodeling of a complete new set of high pressure stills. The refinery is running 5,000 barrels of crude daily, and the daily run will not be increased until battery 3 is put into operation, as battery 1 and 2 are running to capacity. On battery 3 new towers are being placed on the condensor pansCone tower for each still. These towers are similar to steam domes. They are 35 feet high and when put into place their tops are about 60 feet above the ground. Battery 3 receiving house is being completely remodeled. A new and improved set of manifold coils and lock boxes is being installed there. Four new stills, together with the condensor pans which will have to be built for them, are going to be added to battery 3.

Ground for these new stills is broken. Constructing these four new stills will be a big work in itself, and frost will be here before this one task is completed.

When battery 3 is completed, it will consist of twelve big stills, and this battery will have a capacity of 10,000 barrels of crude daily. School bells will be ringing before any of the stills of battery 3 are in operation. Ordinarily battery 3 is the first battery through which the crude passes. When it is put into operation batteries 1 and 2 will be used for rerunning stock from battery 3. Battery 1 consists of steam stills for rerunning gaoline, benzine, and other high gravity stock. Now, the fires are roaring under its stills, and it is being used for first run of crude. Battery 1 is located west of the main boiler house. It has tall towers 80 feet high. Battery 2 is the first unit of stills south of the main boiler house, and battery 3 is the unit of stills directly south of battery 2. Anyone of these batteries would be a good refinery itself. There is not much to battery 4. It consists of coil stills, and was not used during the Mid-Co days. Battery 5 is the Jenkins high pressure stills, now being remodeled, and battery 6 is the Smith high pressure stills, which are almost completely removed. The high pressure stills are located at the extreme south end of the plant.

The new high pressure stills, which will take the place of old batteries 5 and 6, will be a vast work in themselves. One can judge this by seeing the foundations being constructed for these new high pressure stills. Some who are in a position to know say there will be eighteen stills in this new set of high pressure stills. Old refinery men who are working at the plant estimate the cost of new construction now commenced at a million dollars.

Construction work ceased over Sunday at the Moore plant.

David Lee and William Hollingsworth, hoisting foremen from the Cosden Co. plant at Tulsa, motored to Tulsa Saturday, and spent Sunday with their familes. They returned to Arkansas City Sunday evening. Messrs. Lee and Hollingsworth have charge of the hoisting work on battery 3.

Five skilled workmen from the Cosden company plant at Tulsa were put on the construction work at the Moore plant on battery three this morning. Bricklayers commenced work at the plant on battery three this morning. Two more cars of construction material for battery three have arrived.

Howard Bratches, who was captain of the basketball team of senior high school, is timekeeper for the construction gang at work on the high pressure stills. Bryan Davenport and Glenn Fisher were added to the water carrying force this morning. A number of school boys are engaged in this work.

They all come back, even if they have been gone a long time. In this instance, it was Chas. Spruil. Mr. Spruil was born here and after he grew up, his folks moved to Oklahoma. For the past several years he has been engaged in the real estate business at Shidler, Okla. A few weeks since, he took a position with the Moore Refinery company in this city and was sent here as night gauger of crude for the plant here. Mr. Spruil has moved his family here and gone to hosekeeping at 326 North C Street.




Today is the beginning of a new pay period. Checks will be handed out next Saturday. Shift men change shifts today. The men who were on the day shift will now take the morning shift; those on the evening shift will take the day shift; and those on the morning shift, will take the evening shift. Shifts are changed twice a month. This is inventory day at the plant.

The crew of the lubricating plant at the Moore refinery consists of C. A. Halsey, foreman; Alva Bacastow, load rack man and gauger; E. E. Grimes, Jim White, and Gene Nye, firemen; Ed. Coulter, Charles Norton, and Taylor Stephenson, pumpers; Jim Bish and Carl White, filter cleaners. The wax is chilled out of the stock at the wax plant and the general treating department does the treating. The applicances for the filling of drums are not yet in use. Lubricating oils of all kins are being produced.




George N. Moore, president, arrived at the plant yesterday afternoon, after an absence of about two weeks.

Lon Tennis has returned from Augusta, where he has been employed as chief boilermaker for the Lakeside refining company. He now has a similar job at the Moore refinery. He helped to build the refinery here, and has beenn chief boilermaker for every company which has operated it. He learned his trade in the Springfield, Mo., Frisco shops. Mr. Tennis also helped to build the Milliken refinery at Vinita, Okla., coming here from thhe Cosden company about five years ago.

Forty cars of refined products were shipped today. The wrecking crew has finished the dismantling of the Jenkins high pressure still. Workmen are now excavating the spot where the old high pressure stills were located. The power plant consists of 10 one hundred fifty horse power boilers, and not 10 fifty horse power boilers as stated in the Traveler yesterday. Guy Thurman, who was scalded at the plant July 25, is still confined to the hospital, and it is reported he will not be out for about ten days.

The wax plant has a daily capacity of 400 barrels. Its estimated cost is $600,000. It has a complete refrigerating system, and contains more machinery than other departments of the refinery. Located in the wax plant is the receiving switch board, where the electric current is switched to all other departments. The employees of the wax plant are C. A. Halsey, foreman; Fred Baird, Allen Ford, and Frank Kendrick, engineers; W. W. Lewis, Everett Abelott, Jesse Osborne, and Guy Thurman, engineers' helpers; G. H. Boyer, sweathouse man, and Claude and Paul Thurman, press room men. The crew of the plant is not yet completed.




George N. Moore, president of the Moore refining company, and J. C. Lytle, superintendent of the pipe lines, went to Tulsa today on business. Twenty cars of refined products are being loaded out today. E. K. Derry, traveling representative of the Pennsylvania railroad company, was a visitor at the plant today.

Ed Curtis has been assigned to the position of bookkeeper in the warehouse. The warehouse is a complete hardware store, having in it materials for the repair of all the machinery of the plant. It is being rapidly stocked. C. A. Bliss is manager.

Fullers earth is being removed from the shipping building at the Moore plant so that the wax packing machinery located there can be operated. Wax is packed in barrels and bags. Five men are usually employed in this work.




Charles Isaac, superintendent of the Moore refinery, has gone to Tulsa to spend Sunday at home. P. W. Wilkins is in charge during his absence. Guy Thurman, who was scalded at the Moore refinery July 23 by the bursting of a steam line, was dismissed from the hospital today. It is thought he will be able to resume work in about ten days. D. E. Emerson, telephone expert with the Cosden company at Tulsa, has been doing some work on the Moore refinery switchboard. He and Mrs. Emerson will return to Tulsa this evening by auto.

One of the Comley Lumber company trucks has been busy all day today delivering a big lumber order to the new high pressure stills at the Moore plant. Twelve cars of gasoline, three cars of fuel oil, and three cars of lubricating oil are being loaded today. Arrangements are being made so that the six inch stream of water that comes from the condenser coils of the refrigerator division of the wax plant can be used by the refining department, thus conserving the water supply.




The main pump house, located in the central part of the Moore refining plant, is the heart of the refinery, according to the Traveler's information. It has twelve geared pumps, each having a capacity of 500 barrels per hour. The pumpers can switch the stock to and from any part of the plant.

Besides, there are two smaller pump houses east of the railway yards for the pumping of fuel and lubricating oils stored in the tanks there.

In addition, there are a vast number of pumps located at all the batteries, wax plant, lubricating plant, and boiler house.




The work of dismantling the Jenkins high pressure stills has been discontinued indefinitely. The wreckers say they were merely salvaging these stills to get material for use in building the new high pressure stills.

L. E. Winkler, chief engineer for the University Oil Products company, went to Cushing today on business.

A shipment of several carloads of barrels from Coffeyville factory has been received at the Moore refinery. These barrels are for use in packing wax. Although the wax plant has been in operation for more than a month, no shipments have been made, the product being stored in tanks, where it is kept in a liquid state by means of steam coils inside the tanks.

Henry Fishburn has taken a job as pipe fitter at the Moore refinery. He was chief car inspector for the Mid-Co Company.

Another condensor tower was hoisted into place on battery three at the Moore plant today. Shifts of electric and acetylene welders are working night and day at this place.

D. N. R. Brown commenced work at the Moore plant today as car inspector.

One of the trucks of the Huey Lumber company has been busy all day today delivering a big order of construction material at the new high pressure stills at the Moore refinery.

It requires the services of one bricklayer all the time to do the repair work at the Moore refinery.

Work on the new high pressure stills at the Moore refinery is progressing well. The Universal Oil Products company has 50 men employed in this work. Foundations have already been laid to a length of 200 feet. The work at present consists principally of running concrete, laying brick, and building forms. Two cars of construction material were received today. A big force of teamsters is at work hauling sand and gravel.