H. H. Siverd and other Topics
July 14, 2003
This directory contains the results of my first researches into the
Winfield Courier microfilm archives at the Winfield Public Library. The
subject of the research was the murder of H. H. Siverd in 1893. As usual
in my trips to the library, I got diverted into several other interesting
areas. These are also included in this directory. After the initial word
was done I made contact with Kay and Mary Ann Wortman who were doing active
historical research work on Cowley County. At that time Kay was terminally
ill and his family, wife Mary Ann and son, Kevin were trying to make his
final months as tolerable as possible. Kay's last months were also spent
trying to tie up lots of loose ends of his research. Today, years later,
Mary Ann is still discovering threads that Kay had worked on in his interviews
with county residents and his reading of the old newspapers and other sources.
Here is a more complete document on the Siverd Murder, background on H.
H. Siverd and the subsequent lives of the murders.
An index of clippings from the files of the Winfield Courier. (Compiled
prior to April, 1997)
The Daily Courier
BY THE COURIER PRINTING COMPANY
- 8730424a - April 24, 1873, - Kansas & Nebraska
Railroad Bonds - New Jail - Killing Indians
- 8750114a - January 14, 1875, -Tom Scott Takes
Atlantic & Pacific Railroad Before Congress
- 8750114b - January 14, 1875, - Sedgwick vs.
Harvey - Bull Wrecks Train - McDonald Builds Railroad to Ft. Scott Mine
- 8931025a - October 25, 1893 - The Murder of
Hugh H. Siverd
- 8931026a - October 26, 1893 - The Day After
- 8931026b - October 26, 1893 - A Retrogression
(florid prose) on Hugh H. Siverd and the Conditions in the City by W. P.
- 8931026c - October 26, 1893 -Full Particulars
about the Murder of H. H. Siverd
- 8931027 - October 27, 1893 - More on the Funeral
and Statements of Friends
- 8931028 - October 28, 1893 - Memoriams and Rememberances
- 8931031 - October 31, 1893 - Interview with the
- 8931101 - November 1, 1893 - Second Whisky Murder
of an Officer in a Year
- 8931104 - November 4, 1893 - Another Shooting
- 8931106 - November 6, 1893 - Sivard Monument,
Preliminary Hearing for Murders
- 8931116 - November 16, 1893 - Jurors, Joints,
Bawdy Houses and the City Council
- 8931118 - November 18, 1893 - A Letter to the
Widow from Sivard's Old Calvary Outfit
- 8931120 - November 20, 1893 - A Tribute From
a Distant Friend.
- 8931127 - November 27, 1893 - The Siverd Monument.
- 8931220 - December 20, 1893 - Morgan Wright,
the Murderer of Constable Siverd, On Trial for His Life.
- 8931221 - December 20, 1893 - Jury Selected,
Morgan Wright Is Placed on Trial for His Life.
- 8931222 - December 22, 1893 - Verdict - Murder
in First Degree, Jury's Names Released..
- 8931223 - December 23, 1893 - Wilbur Norton and
Morgan Wright are Both Found Guilty of Murder
- 8931226 - December 26, 1893 - A Lynching Avoided
- 8931227 - December 27, 1893 - And may God have
mercy on your souls.
- 8931228 - December 28, 1893 - Norton and Wright
Leave Midst Tears from a Broken Hearted Mother.
- 8931230 - December 30, 1893 - Not necessarily
"bad risk" for life insurance.
- 8940131 - January 31, 1894 - The Sivard Memorial
- 8940203 - February 3, 1894 - The Escape Try
- 8940205 - February 3, 1894 - Regard to Wilbur
Nortons Attempt to Escape.
- 8940206 - February 6, 1894 - A memorial entertainment
for the Poor, honoring Capt. H. H. Sivard
- 8940207 - February 7, 1894 - WARDEN CHASES
STATEMENT on the Escape Attempt.
- rkwres - 1990 Research with the Kansas State Historical
- 9110621 - June 21, 1911 - Hackney's reply to
proposed parole of Morgan Wright.
- 9211018 - October 18, 1921 - Story That Former
Kansas Convict Was Taken In Oklahoma.
Rustling the Rustlers, an article contributed
by Jim Davis from Old West magazine 1968 from an original rememberance from
1924 (source unknown)
Items related to incursions/excursions into Indian
Territory in the 1880's
from: Mary Ann Wortman, Arkansas City, Kansas. This is a very long (800k)
text document of articles from the area newspapers, all key entered by Mary
Ann Wortman. She was trying to find material from the newspapers that correllated
to the above article in "Old West".
Austin, TX 78733
or send me email:email@example.com